Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 02-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

the flame angel and all the others you named can be and is reefsafe until it starts eating your corals!

then it is not.

after having to drain my tank twice to catch 2 different fish one a coral beauty and another a pseudochromis I will never add another angel into my reef again same with the pseudo.

Unless you're rich and don't mine restocking corals I would not suggest adding one but the option is up to you, my stupid coral beauty costs 35 dollars the damage he did costed me over 250 and finally after months of his destruction and my time trying to catch it,did I mention I tried to catch it for 2 months with no success I decided to drain my tank that was the only way.

so even if someone offered me 1 thousand dollars to try another angel in my reef I wouldn't.

Oh yea and just for reference when I caught him I literally threw him in my fowler this was last year and he happily resides in the fowler with bigger angels now thank me!

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 02-05-2008, 10:51 PM

saltwaterboy321 is on a distinguished road

I seem to be getting a lot of mixed answers. I guess it truly is a hit and miss. If does does eat the coral, I can't afford to replace it.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:11 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwaterboy321 View Post
I seem to be getting a lot of mixed answers. I guess it truly is a hit and miss. If does does eat the coral, I can't afford to replace it.
It really comes down to if he eats your corals are you going to care more about the coral or the fish.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:46 AM

reptile guy is on a distinguished road

I've had flames that never touched a thing but just recently had one that turned into a holy terror going after all my aussie acans, scolomias and brains like a mad man so the potential is always there. I also had 2 blue tangs that were great for a year then started taking big bites out of all my lps and even biting and starting fights with my canary wrasses (was very weird behavior). The blue tangs and the flame angel both were very well fed with green, red, purple algae's , new life spectrum pellets, mysis and loads of live rock to feed on yet they still decided the taste of corals was to hard to pass up. Also heard of others on occasion having problems with there blues but the yellow tang who was in with them has always been a model citizen so have since gone with a school of yellows which looks great
Old 02-06-2008, 03:50 PM

bloat is on a distinguished road

I had a flame that was good for a year, but then started to get the flavor for a couple corals after 6 months or so. I also had an emperor that was good for well over a year, untill he aquired the taste for brains out of the blue.

I did have a coral beaughty though, that never posed a problem.
I also have a niger triger in my tank that hasn't been a beast to its tankmates, yet....

The choice and chance is yours. I would say if you are planning on keeping any brains, acans, flowerpots, or fans.....don't get an angel.....those were the coral victoms in my reef tank.