Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-07-2003, 05:49 AM

Maintenance Man is on a distinguished road
Default update on second pic.

Hello this is bc_grl husband here . hello everyone . Some more info on the second picture . It has three mouths not two , and at night it folds up into a dome shape .The only pictures I have that come close to it ,is in my marine atlas , they are Amplexidscus fenestrfer ,at night . and in the day it looks like Ricordea but with three mouths.When the tanks lights go out tonight I will take a flash light and have a closer look at it . And thank you for the imput folks
Old 02-07-2003, 02:13 PM

Troy F is on a distinguished road

I just thought it a possiblility that should be explored. Steve, if it were mojano, they proliferate and are stingers. It would be like saying leave your aiptasia alive.

lusus naturae
Old 02-07-2003, 02:28 PM

AJ_77 is on a distinguished road

Looks very much like what e-corals calls "RICORDEA FLORIDA (NEON YELLOW-GREEN)"
Let's see if we can link to the picture.

Yup, it's under the Soft Corals at ecorals.tv so there is some concern you'd be killing something expensive.

HI ANDY
Old 02-07-2003, 08:38 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy F
It would be like saying leave your aiptasia alive.
Um.. I do leave them alive in the bottom tank

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:26 AM

ldzielak is on a distinguished road

Jeanna

I have both of the above, harmless. Check this old post, Ricordea look just like your. If you have 3 mouths, means they are reproducing.

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3198

Lee
Old 02-08-2003, 02:09 AM

BC_Grl is on a distinguished road

Thanks again for your help.
Andy likes it... But if it was a pest, I would want to eradicate it. Sorry Steve, but I wouldn't want to allow Aiptasia in my tank.
So, it looks like it stays.
Old 02-14-2003, 09:30 AM

Van down by the river is on a distinguished road

If you are interested, the algae is Neomeris annulata or Neomeris vanbosseae. Both are found from intertidal to 30M.
Fossa and Nilsen briefly mention it in Vol1 pg.285- They mention that it often does well in newer systems but seems to fail in the long term.
Anyways it's no harm. I suspect that with constant predation from your tangs it will be short lived in your system.

As to the Ricordea, and YES it is Ricordia, NOT Amplexidiscus fenestrafer.
A.fenestrafer has a "bare" strip close to the outer edge of it's disc, with spaced out tentacles.The picture has neither, as to the Marine Atlas, turn the page......look familiar?

As to the 3 mouths, congradulations you are a mommy!!
Definitely a happy coral.

I don't mean to blast anyone but sometimes it seams too many people have the mentality of "Buy now,learn later" :x . I'm not asking everyone to become self studied scientists, but do you have any books at all? I'm sure they look nice in the book case, but they work better when you read them!
Am I saying I know everything, NOT at all!!.....but I can tell the difference between a Aptasia and Ricordea(even though I'm lost without a spellchecker).
Please no one take this post personally, it just seems in general, too often someone comes for help, and everyone and their dog replies(in all the forums).....with wrong or misleading answers . This only serves to further confuse and misdirect their fellow aquarists.

People spend thousands on their reef, so spend a hundred bucks on a good book or two(remember an animal's life is in your hands). Not sure which ones? email me and I'll recommend some, or better yet, start a new question thread( I can also suggest where they are the cheapest.

For those that just seem to like to see their own text on screen(that don't really know the answer), write a letter to your mom! I'm sure it's been awhile and she would really appreciate it!!!
Old 02-14-2003, 02:25 PM

AJ_77 is on a distinguished road

Good advice, Van. BTW, do you have a Nomex (flame-resistant) suit?? You might need it.

:shock:
Old 02-14-2003, 03:38 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

VDBTR ... please chill out ... this is a fun place. We're all here just having a little fun, and maybe we learn something, too. There's no need to be admonishing and scolding people like some kind of cranky old schoolteacher ten years past retirement age. There's also no need to be suggesting that people are posting only to see their own text. Dude, that's not nice. There's no harm in people asking for opinions of an ID of something, because even if they have the so-called "right" books it can be hard to nail down an ID because there usually simply isn't the wealth of experience for comparison. A second opinion is just that ... an opinion. Some are valid, some of off-base, some are humourous.

Peace ... OK???
Old 02-14-2003, 08:06 PM

BCOrchidGuy is on a distinguished road

Sorry Van but I agree with the moderator here, I am not a scientist, I'm an amatuer aqarium keeper, I make mistakes, and yes I have books, many and I read them often. Personally I find some things difficult to find out until I see something in person. I have a daisy coral, I thought it was a goniporia but I finally saw one today and now I know the pet store was right, it isn't a gonoporia. I make mistakes but I learn from them, as do most if I am not mistaken.