Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-19-2007, 02:09 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

It's not really a problem using something like photobucket.com to post pictures. Account is free, you just upload your pictures from your PC to your account, copy the direct link, then paste the link back here.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:07 PM

mildcustom2 is on a distinguished road
Default Pictures

Here is a picture of what i started with. The stand is not the typical all glass supplied pine stand but instead a custom cherry oak made by a furniture company in Seattle. Thanks for everyones help with posting pics. The tank has water in it, live rock etc. and I will be posting more pics today.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:55 PM

Default Finally able to post pics

[IMG][/IMG]

Thank you to everyone for their help it took a bit of experimenting but I now know how to post pics.

Thanx

Sean
Old 12-23-2007, 01:35 AM

Default More Pics

The following is a bunch of pictures that I took over the past week while putting the tank together.

Plumbing for the Refugium and Chiller

[IMG][/IMG]

Plumbing for the refugium return and fluidized bed filter

[IMG][/IMG]

When I Painted the back of the tank black I didn't paint over the overflow sections so I could look inside them from top to bottom. You never know what might end up in there. I test ran the tank with fresh water while it was pulled away from the wall to check for leaks. Drained it and moved it into place. I had to replace a leaking Sequence reeflo dart pump but other than that there really wasn't any leaks.

Pump and plumbing left side of the tank

[IMG][/IMG]

Left side of 75 gallon sump, ATI Bubblemaster and Phosphate react and carbon reactor.

[IMG][/IMG]

Right side of Sump with dual sock filters, 50 microns and 100 microns

[IMG][/IMG]

Top of adjacent stand that houses the electrical on top to avoid water contact, 14 gallon refugium in the middle and chiller on the bottom.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The tank is very cloudy in this picture because I added a bag of Carib Sea arag alive aragonite to the tank. I changed out the stock 10 k coralife bulb in the middle of the 3x250 watt hqi aqualight pro to a Giesman Megachrome 13 k bulb. I heard the coralife bulbs are not very good. There is definetly a differance in the color and intensity. Plan on changing the side bulbs later to aqua connect.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-24-2007, 04:26 AM

Default Update

Here is a new picture after the tank cleared from the addition of a bag of aragontie.

[IMG][/IMG]

I picked up a few fish for the tank today from J&L. 4 female lyre tail anthias, 1male lyre tail anthias, 2 bangaii cardinals, 1 yellow tang, 1 coral beauty, 2 ORA percula clowns. Just so nobody thinks I am insane because the tank has only had water in it for 5 days. I have a large canister filter that is well aged from one of my other tanks that I am renovating currently on the tank. I also used aged media for my fluidized bed filter and aged aragonite. Water parameters are pretty good right now.

Picture of my 2 new Bangaii Cardinals

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanx for looking

Sean

PS. Plan on dropping a massive amount of cash at J&L on Boxing Day.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:38 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Sean the rock work looks awesome man.. what type of rock is that I love it, might have to get some rock like that when I redo my cube after Afghanistan next summer...

Oh ya Sean looking at your list, take the maxi jets and turn them into the modded 1600gph talk to wendell at Ocean aquatics he has them from 18.95 per mod you can't go wrong. they are amazing...

Last edited by Skimmerking; 12-27-2007 at 03:41 AM.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:57 AM

The rock is from Hidden reef. Mike gave me a really good deal for buying 150 lbs ( Jakarta ). There isn't much for coraline but it has great shape to it. There is a couple of pieces of fiji purple with the really nice purple coraline on it. The fiji rock is from my nano tank ( 1 yr old ) that I am currently turning into a dwarf sea horse tank ( future breeding plans ).

As for the maxijet upgrade. I already have upgraded one to 1600 gph and love it. I run it on my wave maker parallel to the front of the tank. As for water current I think between the upgraded maxijet, 2 maxijet 1200, 2 korylia 3's and the couple thousand of gallons of water from the return I have enough water movement. Just short of a tsunami at this point. Thanx for the advise though.

More pics of the tank to come soon. And later I will hint at future plans for a major project. Bigger than most could imagine.

Thanx

Sean
Old 12-30-2007, 05:32 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Tank looks awesome. Nice job with the setup of the electrical and fuge. Is that a fish room behind your tank?

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:34 AM

Default Time for an update

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of a fish room. In that picture my tank was pulled away from the wall so that I could get access to the back for plumbing. As it is there is just enough room between the wall and the tank that I can crawl in behind.

So I recieved a bit of critisism for the 35 fish and various corals and inverts I added on boxing day from J&L in another thread. And people have asked that I post updates on the fish, corals and inverts. So far the only fish I lot was a bangaii cardinal that didn't look so hot the minute he went in the tank.

And now for the pictures

Refugium is doing very well, I love the carib sea refugium/mineral mud and aragonite combo I am using. Getting lots of growth out of the various macro algaes that are in it.

General tank picture, star polyps in the corner were just given to me from a friends tank that had crashed during a power outage.

My 6" clam

Zoo's

Star polyps

Pink Mushrooms

Orange Monti Digitata

Cool picture of my school of chromis under the actinics only

I'll continue to update as things progress. Thanx for looking.

Sean
Old 01-17-2008, 04:34 AM

Default Going away for for Work

Just FYI for anyone that posts anything for my tank journal or is wondering why I am not posting updates. I'm going away for 2 weeks off shore (oil rig ) New Foundland. Currently in St. Johns but fly out to the rig on the chopper this friday. Left my tank hopefully in the capable hands of my brother to look after since my wife is out of comission due to a operation to remove a tumor. I'll post an update of the after math of my trip when I get back. Fortunately with my job I do travel to some really nice places. I've been fortunate enough to see Moorish Idols and butterfly fish in the wild. The waters of Tahiti are like a reef tank owners dream fish store.

Thanx

Sean