Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-29-2007, 07:34 AM
Banned

andresont is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Lee View Post
Give the arctic pods a try for the CBB. They sell them at OA and so far everything eats it in my tanks.
Thanks Chin, tried this already, my CBB would not touch it.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:25 AM

surgeonfish is on a distinguished road

Day 8 and still not eating! The CBB is thin but does not appear stressed. It is adapting to the new tank. It occas picks at the liverock but I don't think it is eating anything. All the aiptasia is still present. It didn't touch the clams in the 1/2 shell. I have tried 3 brands of mysis shrimp and two brands of brine shrimp also without success. I will keep trying.
300 gal starphire custom built in pentagon reef (+90 gal sump on Blue Line 100 HD return pump, 210lb LR, Euro-Reef RC250 skimmer, 2x400W MH, 2x28W compacts, 2xTurbelle classic 4002 pumps & Turbelle Stream 6100 on 7095 Multicontroller, running ZEOvit)

Livestock
Fish: damsels; sailfin, yellow, regal & naso tangs; ocellaris & tomato clowns; lyretail anthias; foxface lo; flame angelfish
corals: a few
Old 10-31-2007, 03:47 AM

Sebae again is on a distinguished road

Did you try adding garlic ? How about blood worms ?
Old 10-31-2007, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebae again View Post
Did you try adding garlic ? How about blood worms ?
I tried soaking the mysis and brine shrimp in garlic and adding garlic to the tank during feeding with no luck. I have not tried blood worms but will see if I can get some locally.
Thanks for the help.
300 gal starphire custom built in pentagon reef (+90 gal sump on Blue Line 100 HD return pump, 210lb LR, Euro-Reef RC250 skimmer, 2x400W MH, 2x28W compacts, 2xTurbelle classic 4002 pumps & Turbelle Stream 6100 on 7095 Multicontroller, running ZEOvit)

Livestock
Fish: damsels; sailfin, yellow, regal & naso tangs; ocellaris & tomato clowns; lyretail anthias; foxface lo; flame angelfish
Old 11-11-2007, 07:35 PM

Default Update

Well it is 21 days today. After 2 weeks not eating I finally found some blood worms locally and he likes them. I have been adding garlic and Selcon. I don't know if he would thrive on just blood worms? I am going to try tubifex worms next. I am scared to move him into my main tank with several damsels and tangs as he likely will starve if he only eats worms that are lying on the sand.

Livestock
Old 11-12-2007, 12:45 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

You can try adding in other food stuffs to the bloodworms and serving them togther, to see if that illicits a response. Sometimes you can get fish to acknowledge that one item is food, and generalize that knowledge to another item (seeing it as food), by serving them together.

Have you tried mixing in any dry foods, such a cyclopses (sp?), pellet food, etc.?
Old 11-12-2007, 01:15 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

I'm just wondering if maybe adding it to the main tank would actually improve its eating habits. I know by watching some of my fish, that they learn what/how to eat by observing the other fish eating (e.g. my chromis are now constantly pecking at the seaweed clip). If it was eating frozen brine shrimp while in a "community" setting, perhaps it will do so again once amongst other fish who are doing the same.

Just a thought!

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 11-13-2007, 03:03 AM

Thanks for the advice. There is also a few green chromis in the tank that eat everything. The CBB watches them eat but doesn't seem to increase his desire to try these foods. I have tried frozen and flake cyclops without success. I will try adding different foods at the same time as the blood worms.

Livestock
Old 11-14-2007, 06:36 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Have you tried an oyster or clam (live oyster or live clam from the supermarket if you have one that sells that sort of thing, it sure is fun going up and asking for "one oyster please" )? Or a mussel ..

I buy about 4 or 5 at a time, throw them in my sump, and about once a week I'll crack one open and throw it in the main tank.

Probably not great for water quality, but .. well, at least he's eating something this way..
Old 11-14-2007, 06:52 AM

I have tried cracking open a clam with no success. I was too embarrassed to ask for just one clam, so I bought half a dozen instead. Maybe I will try muscles next.
Thanks

Livestock