Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Nano Tank Talk

Old 03-14-2007, 01:23 AM

Nixon is on a distinguished road

i hear pepperment shrimp is the best way to get rid of aptisia? am i correct?
Old 03-14-2007, 01:43 AM

andsoitgoes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
i hear pepperment shrimp is the best way to get rid of aptisia? am i correct?
One way, sometimes. Maybe.

Not the best, there's no "best" way, I've found. Joe's Juice works wonders for me, and does squat for the next person.

My pep's, although I never saw it, rid my tank of everything that the Joe's couldn't reach, and now they're just wicked cool.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:23 AM

bubblepuffer is on a distinguished road

It's depend on how big is your rock.. I am always having fun with killing those thing.. I let the stupid Aiptisia pop out from the hole and quickly remove the rock from the water so that stupid thing won't retreat back to the hole. Then I use super hot distilled water with vinegar and microwave it for 1 min.. distilled water will be mostly far above boiling point I inject the thing with it and it melt and bubbling =) ..then use old tooth brush to brush it off from the rock and rinse it couple of time with old tank water .. I usually wait until when I do water change or cleaning the tank then will hunting down those nasty animal
Old 03-14-2007, 04:38 AM

sounds like a lot of work. i rather get some cool lookin' pep shrimp and watch them roam haha. my tank is sitll cycling so i'm waiting for another week or two before i get anything. my light hasn't arrived yet either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblepuffer View Post
It's depend on how big is your rock.. I am always having fun with killing those thing.. I let the stupid Aiptisia pop out from the hole and quickly remove the rock from the water so that stupid thing won't retreat back to the hole. Then I use super hot distilled water with vinegar and microwave it for 1 min.. distilled water will be mostly far above boiling point I inject the thing with it and it melt and bubbling =) ..then use old tooth brush to brush it off from the rock and rinse it couple of time with old tank water .. I usually wait until when I do water change or cleaning the tank then will hunting down those nasty animal
Old 03-14-2007, 05:17 AM

uh oh, i've just discovered i have some Digitate hydroids in my liverock. are these going to be a problem. i read up a bit on them, and some sites said that they sting anything they can touch. i'm going to be placing coral in here in a few weeks time. will these harm my coral and if they will, how should i go about getting rid of them? thanks guys. yo'uve been a huge help and i really appricate it! great support on this site. i love it!
Old 03-14-2007, 06:01 AM

andsoitgoes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
uh oh, i've just discovered i have some Digitate hydroids in my liverock. are these going to be a problem. i read up a bit on them, and some sites said that they sting anything they can touch. i'm going to be placing coral in here in a few weeks time. will these harm my coral and if they will, how should i go about getting rid of them? thanks guys. yo'uve been a huge help and i really appricate it! great support on this site. i love it!
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...errerid=112003

How much of your rock is covered with them?

If a lot, you may want to try waiting it out, but again - the reef business is full of mixed results, honestly. Either way, good luck
Old 03-14-2007, 06:32 AM

i can only spot 2 on the same rock. and i've been reading a lot of mixed comments about them. some people are saying they die off after awhile. others say they sting everything even you and leave rashes/swelling. some others say they have them and they don't bother anything in their tank...maybe i'll get a buddy to touch it and see what happens haha. i dont know what i want to do with it yet. thanks for that link though. some good reading. any other suggestions guys?
Old 03-22-2007, 03:32 AM

i'm not sure if this is normal, but i just got my light today and when i have it on, i can see a bunch of little particles floating around in the water. is this normal? it makes my water look constantly dirty almost. i have it as an "open top" tank. is that what could be contributing to this? if anybody has any ideas, please let me know thanks!

i'm running:
- about 15-20lbs of live rock that was in an established tank before i got it.

- rio nano skimmer
- maxijet 400 powerhead
- current USA 80W 50/50 power compact.

p.s.
tank is now about 2 1/2 weeks old.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:59 AM

Midknight is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Midknight Send a message via Yahoo to Midknight

Copied post over to this and found most of my Q's ansered.
What salt did you use and what are your mesurments at?
It the water out of the older tank or is it new water?
How much skimmate are you getting?
Old 03-22-2007, 05:05 AM

salinity's about 1.024, ph was 8.1 last time i measured it (few days ago), the water i'm using is out of my friend's tank (changed on monday). i do water changes (about 50%) weekly. i rarely have to empty the skimmate from my skimmer but that's only beacuse the catch bottle is massive. i get about 50-100ml in a week? give or take some.