Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-27-2006, 04:34 PM

anglfish is on a distinguished road

Thank you All for your advice.
Beverly, I read most of the articles which took longer than expected as I had to visit some chemistry night classes in order to understand them. just kidding.
Anyhow I think reading up on the core principle of ph alkinity relationship, I think I figured out what happened. I took the reading of 8.8 pH at around 10pm. and that day I switched the lights on at around 7 am. that's way too many hours of light, I know. I do have a timer now to control the time.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the fact that I had daylight for 15 hours would cause a high pH level.
I know it can't be the salt, as I switched to Instant Ocean and had two water changes since.
Christy - the test kit is prolly to cheap too. I bought it with the old salt at petsmart. I don't know what brand that was I threw it out. I got a lecture from Allen at Creatures about that already

soo to make things short. I took another test.. in the morning, but well rinsed test tubes ( genix) and I got a pH level of 8.2.

So I guess I worried too much again.

Kinda like I dragged my puppy to the vet cause I thought he was limping and paid 60 bucks to find out that he has a blister on his paw from running around.

so thanks again for your help!

by the way if you are interested - look out for some tank pictures I will post in a new thread!

Angela

Old 08-27-2006, 11:57 PM

Beverly is on a distinguished road

Ang,

I'm not sure if having the lights on for 15 hours would give you such a high pH, but it might. I've never actually kept the lights on our tanks for so long.

Yeah, reading all those chemistry articles takes a lot out of a person. I've read some of them a half dozen times and am still learning each time I read them over

It is normal for there to be a pH swing from just before lights on and just after lights out, but if the swing is over, say, .3 points, I always suspect alkalinity is too low. I try to keep mine between 8 dKH and 11-ish dKH.

A good thing to do when testing and adding additives is to keep a log of when you test, what your test results are, and how much you add of each additive. Here are some calculators for determining system volume and how much additive to add after chemistry testing...

Aquarium System Volume Calculator:

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/volcalc.html

The Reef Chemistry Calculator:

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

HTH

Beverly's 10g Nano YouTube Channel
Old 08-28-2006, 05:07 AM

anglfish is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice Christie.

I was actually thinking of keeping an electronic log/diary to track water changes, tests, etc.

Is there by chance some Database or even Excel Spreadsheet template that is build for such tracking? If not I can build my own but I would love to save some work.

Old 08-28-2006, 07:26 AM

reeferaddict is on a distinguished road

Do a google search for "ReefCon"... great little electronic logging & graphing program for free... you can totally track your tank with it...
135G Mixed Reef. Bullet 2, 25 gal refugium, 2 X250W MH + 4X 96W PC\'s, DIY Calcium Reactor, Coralife 1/6 HP Chiller, Phosban, Tunze, 2 closed loops & SQWD\'s, Seios, Coralife 4 stage RO/DI & a bunch of other expensive gadgets... I may never retire, but I'm gonnahavahelluvanaquarium!