Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 08-18-2006, 03:58 AM

DanG is on a distinguished road

If it's just the reviews you're scared about, just get one and try it. They have a 30 day return policy, right?
From what I've seen, you can pick almost any product, and find someone who doesn't like it for whatever reason.
When they say they get a lot of dropped connections, there's too many outside factors to consider, mircowave, cordless phone, your neighbours cordless phone, etc. When you broadcast any signal, there will be interfearance of some sort, unless you're on a special licensed frequency.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:10 AM

OCDP is on a distinguished road

Alrighty .. I now understand that there is a few factors to consider with dropped connections.. I just never knew of these. I now am getting a better understanding of how things work.

Some weird, weird things I have noticed so far though.. I dunno if anyone can help...

In the "View available wireless networks" window, there is 3 network names. All of them don't make sense. The first one is "default" the second , and this is extremely weird. It's name is "linksys" , and I bought a D-Link ... ?! Now, the very last is very odd, the network name is "james" . I figure someone is trying to do something, somehow .. haha.

My connection has been alright.. I still need to do major tweaking, and need a better understanding of things yet.

Anyways, I dunno if anyone can help or not, either way no biggy.. I will be contacting D-Link tomorrow because I do not have the first clue on how to firewall my network.

Scott
Old 08-18-2006, 05:21 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Got a neighbour named James?
Old 08-18-2006, 05:28 AM

Ahaha, not that I know of Tony.

Looks like I'm goin' door to door...
Old 08-18-2006, 05:29 AM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

My business depends on my computer network being up.

I would show up at work and have no network connection, then spend 30 to 90 minutes re-establishing the connection. This happened again and again and again.

Both the tech person at my internet service provider, and the technician who installed my wired network, advised me that this brand out wireless router is a piece of crap.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:35 AM

Ah well, I am going to test it out on my home PC.. so far so good. There is a return policy I believe so I mine as well see how it goes. Other than getting things established and secure, it's running alright for me.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:07 PM

Buccaneer is on a distinguished road

Make sure to password protect your wireless router or the neighbourhood pedophile will be using it to surf the net

We really should have better laws about this stuff but sadly we do not so secure that router

“The most important decision you make is to be in a good mood.”
― Voltaire
Old 08-19-2006, 12:03 AM

Canadbis is on a distinguished road

setup WEP encryption!!
and disable wireless ID broadcast.
or try to connect to one of the 3 you see that doesnt ask for security code

Yo Mama's so ugly, she scares people with the lights OFF
Old 08-19-2006, 01:35 AM

Bartman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDP
In the "View available wireless networks" window, there is 3 network names. All of them don't make sense. The first one is "default" the second , and this is extremely weird. It's name is "linksys" , and I bought a D-Link ... ?! Now, the very last is very odd, the network name is "james" . I figure someone is trying to do something, somehow .. haha.

Scott
Yours is "default" until you change the name. "linksys" and "james" are just 2 other networks in your neighbourhood you are picking up. They will pick yours up too so enable your WEP or WPA.

I have never had any trouble with my Dlink. 4 computers connected to it, both Mac and PC, desktop and laptop, 100% uptime over 3 years.

BTW, if you can connect to "linksys" or "james" you could just return your Dlink and save your $.

Old 08-19-2006, 02:27 AM

roclimber is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to roclimber

In addition to "Disabling Wireless Network ID" or "not broadcasting Network ID", setup WEP or WPA, password. Another thing you should do is set up MAC filter on your Wireless router. With that, only the machine with the correct MAC address can access your wireless network.

Disabling Wireless Network is not that useful, with the right software you can still see the ID even though it's invsible.

WEP 128 encryption is good but given time, it can still be decrypted with a computer running Linux.

WPA is recommended over WEP and less overhead so it won't slow down your connection.

Might be too much for you but given time, you will know better :-)

good luck.