Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-18-2006, 03:00 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

a little food for thought, Grape calurpa is the most toxic form of calurpa there is.. something like 22X more toxic than the next.. when I had a problem with it about 3 years ago, I would lose a fish or some snails every time I did a harvest.. after 3 or 4 fish I put two and two together did some research and bobs you uncle.. the toxins released by the grape calurpa was killing weaker fish.

try remove it from the roots with out breaking the stems a lot.

the only way I got rid of it was by raising my tank temp to 104 for 23 hours... needless to say it got rid of everything else also.. like I have been saying for about two years now...

"friends don't let friends have calurpa"

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:25 AM

b_james is on a distinguished road

I temporarly added a clump to my display tank untill I get my fuge up and running. Can anyone tell me why some of the branches are turning a translucent white color. It seems to be growing very well, but I've notice some of the branches turning color.

150 Gal Deep Dimension Cube, with Model 2 sump/filter, CO2 reactor, milwakee pH controller, auto-top off, 2 radion LED lighting, Vortech MP40 cor internal circulation.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_james
I temporarly added a clump to my display tank untill I get my fuge up and running. Can anyone tell me why some of the branches are turning a translucent white color. It seems to be growing very well, but I've notice some of the branches turning color.
it is going sexual.. soon you will have lots all over your tank.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 03-19-2006, 03:25 AM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy

Steve
totally out of the thread, but did you see the national geographic (think it was them) on how caulerpa is ruining the ocean? think it was in greece and in california, it's choking out everything on the sea floor....well like coral life and that...fish probably don't care unless they need the corals for some reason....looks like huge underwater plots of astroturf...or like an underwtaer golf course
Old 03-19-2006, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subdued
totally out of the thread, but did you see the national geographic (think it was them) on how caulerpa is ruining the ocean? think it was in greece and in california, it's choking out everything on the sea floor....well like coral life and that...fish probably don't care unless they need the corals for some reason....looks like huge underwater plots of astroturf...or like an underwtaer golf course
I haven't seen that but I do know that it is banned in California and a few other states in the US because of the dammage it does to the natural enviorment.. aparently it can live in fresh water also. there is one state where someone threw it into a iragation ditch and now it has become a hoge problem in the water ways.

Steve

Old 03-20-2006, 08:47 PM

b_james is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Steve
I got to get that thing into my fuge tonight

150 Gal Deep Dimension Cube, with Model 2 sump/filter, CO2 reactor, milwakee pH controller, auto-top off, 2 radion LED lighting, Vortech MP40 cor internal circulation.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:56 AM

psychedelic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_james
That stuff is evil. I did exactly the same thing... I was waiting to save up for a fuge and the caulerpa took over my tank eventually....
Old 04-18-2006, 04:58 AM

psychedelic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
a little food for thought, Grape calurpa is the most toxic form of calurpa there is.. something like 22X more toxic than the next.. when I had a problem with it about 3 years ago, I would lose a fish or some snails every time I did a harvest.. after 3 or 4 fish I put two and two together did some research and bobs you uncle.. the toxins released by the grape calurpa was killing weaker fish.

try remove it from the roots with out breaking the stems a lot.

the only way I got rid of it was by raising my tank temp to 104 for 23 hours... needless to say it got rid of everything else also.. like I have been saying for about two years now...

"friends don't let friends have calurpa"

Steve

How did you raise your temp that high for 23 hours? hmm...that is kinda tempting...either that...or boiling em...or hmm...drying em for 10 days. Heard that kills caulerpa...but kills everything else too. Hmmm... tough decision.

Anyone with a grazer in a big tank want some free rocks?
Old 04-18-2006, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychedelic
How did you raise your temp that high for 23 hours? hmm...that is kinda tempting...
My heater broke, its not advisable as it killed everything in my tank.

Steve

Old 04-18-2006, 02:22 PM

TheReefGeek is on a distinguished road

I like the look of grape calurpa, but my foxface eats it all.

So if you have a grape calurpa problem, maybe try a foxface?