Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-19-2006, 05:28 PM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

I did not spot feed and followed the directions as well for amount. I did not shut my pumps off either. I have discontinued using this product although I think I may try it on my 24g and monitor. There are no anemones in this tank - just some blasto and zoos, 2 small clownfish and a clown gobie.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:34 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road

Well I have a BTA in my tank so I'll see if anything happens to it when I feed.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:35 PM

rusty is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy
I've been using it for a little while, however I use about 1/4 of the suggested amount, don't spot feed or shut the pumps down and my corals seem to like it. I use maybe 1/4 teaspoon in my 130 gal. I also alternate feedings with other foods. I don't get slime or RBTA shrinkage, so far - so good.
Yah I have been doing it this way as well. I do spot feed though and have had no problems with it
Old 02-19-2006, 10:14 PM

Polyp Lab is on a distinguished road

Hey Dad,

The sliming you observered on your LPS when feeding is a good thing. It's the coral trying to catch as much food as possible. However, certain kinds of sliming in SPS can indicate stress.

As for people having issues with the reef-roids products on anemones. I'm very surprised to hear that. We have a several kinds of anemones in our tanks including bubble-tips and carpets with no problems.. Everything in Reef-roids is completely natural and would be find in natural reef environments where your corals come from. I would suspect that something else is causing the anemones to be upset.

At the same time, anemones feed differently from filter feeders, Anemones are used to catching relatively large pieces and moving the piece to the mouth. If directly fed, the much smaller particles of Reef-roids will likely adhere to almost all of it's tentacles. It is possible that the best way to those small particles of food into it's mouth is by contracting all of the tentacles.

Anemones need meatier foods - they aren't filter feeders so it would be tough to for them to even eat the small sized Reef-roids.

If anyone has any more questions I'll do my best to answer them.

Cheers

Dave
Old 02-20-2006, 12:22 AM

Willow is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Willow Send a message via Yahoo to Willow

got a new alvepora yeterday and spot fed it last night and it ate it up nice.

90 Gallon LPS tank - Challice, Acans, Favia, Diplo and Zoos
125 Gallon SPS Coming Soon!
Old 02-20-2006, 12:36 AM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

Dave, it could very well be something else. I did mention that I am changing salt brands as well. It just seems funny that the only time it has done this in a year is when I was feeding the reed roids and when I quit feeding them it came back to it's usual self again in about 3 days. I have done one water change since I quit feeding and it did not have any effect on it. I am going to continue to feed rr to my 24g and just hold off for now on my other tanks until I have done a few more water changes on them.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:37 AM

Griffin is on a distinguished road

Was out at OA today and bought a jar - Think i will try what some others have said and go with half dose. Will post how my tank responds to it as i have 98% LPS and softies with 3 pieces of sps.

Cheers
Rich
Old 02-20-2006, 02:46 AM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

Here is a shot of my brain about half an hour after spot feeding reef roids to it. It is amazing, the thing looks pregnant

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2

Last edited by digital-audiophile; 03-25-2007 at 09:55 PM.