Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 02-10-2006, 08:32 PM

richtg is on a distinguished road

My tank is a "Mitch" tank. A very long and painful process, and the end result (my tank) had a scratch on the front $$ glass. Noticed it when I got home and cleaned it. I know I didn't do it but couldn't prove it. Starfire too! Next time I'll happily pay more to buy from professionals.

Rich.
90gal Starfire mixed reef, 400W MH (Giesemann 13K megachrome/Icecap E-ballast), (2) 54W T5 Giesemann true actinic, 45gal sump (65W 50/50 PC), ASM G-3 Skimmer, Mak 4 return, Sequence Dart closed loop, foam backdrop, 120 lbs LR, 2" sandbed, & 1 dillhole running the show.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:52 PM

Tarolisol is on a distinguished road

I had no problems with them, but all i got was the glass and i put the tank together myself. only took them about a week as well. I got the 210g tank with starfire front for 700 bucks.and a small 18" cube tank. I also got all the silicone and buklheads.

Back in the good ole days
Old 02-13-2006, 04:51 AM

Paverdude is on a distinguished road

I thought Mitch was out of BR now, with all his troubles?
Old 02-13-2006, 06:51 AM

Chin_Lee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Chin_Lee
Default scratches on tank

I've order two tanks from him and both had scratches on them. The first one i was able to sell and mitch gave me a discount on my second one. By the time i got my second one it had scratches too but it was 8 months into my project and i gave up and used it. i was just not prepared to delay for 1 year. i've never been lied so much by a single person. his receptionist would often sigh and criticize him for his empty promises when I explained my situation to her "But when I called Mitch yesterday, he told me he had sent it off already and I'm looking for the waybill info". Her response was something like "I don't know why he does that but they are very busy on another large order and your tank has not been made yet."
that scenario would happen no less that 5-6 times for each of my two tanks.
lesson learned : order your tank 6 months in advance of when you need it.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:38 PM

Psyire is on a distinguished road

I think the lesson would be... order from somewhere else.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:40 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

I concur. Poor service, scratched products, lying & late delivery = spending my money elsewhere.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:36 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

I think they're alright as long as you by-pass Mitch and speak to Kelly or what ever the other guy's name is. Thouh, I've only every order glass from them, which they pretty much cut while I waited. I guess if you do what Tarolisol did and by glass and assemble yourself, they'll be alright.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 02-14-2006, 09:44 AM

richtg is on a distinguished road

Chin Lee:

I had the EXACT SAME EXPERIENCE! One of those experiences that I try not to think about because I was so tired of the #@$! that I ended up just giving up and keeping the scratched tank.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

(I'm ok now)
90gal Starfire mixed reef, 400W MH (Giesemann 13K megachrome/Icecap E-ballast), (2) 54W T5 Giesemann true actinic, 45gal sump (65W 50/50 PC), ASM G-3 Skimmer, Mak 4 return, Sequence Dart closed loop, foam backdrop, 120 lbs LR, 2" sandbed, & 1 dillhole running the show.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:53 PM

Paverdude is on a distinguished road

I guess i'll learn from your experiances and order elsewere

Any sugestions? hopefully in Calgary
Old 02-14-2006, 04:39 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I kind of hesitated to jump in on this one because it's the same-old same-old and I don't really have anything new to add that I haven't said a pile of times before. But just that when I built my 280g about a year ago, I never once dealt with Mitch, design, payment, delivery, etc. etc. my contact point each conversation was Doug (I never actually spoke to Mitch about it, not once). They took about a month to build the tank, which didn't bother me at all (heck the tank is still waiting for water right now, lots of things get in the way of getting it going but that's another story). No scratches or anything that I can tell. I'm basically happy with the tank and it cost less than half of a few other custom builders that I had give me a quote. So all in all, if I ever were to do it again, I really have no reason to say I wouldn't do it. The only thing is I know the stories (hey, I've been around long enough) and I know that my story, while not unique, is certainly in the minority. And the only other thing is when I contacted them about 6 months ago in regards to getting my cube built, I found out that Doug no longer works there. I actually was disappointed to hear that because I thought he was instrumental in at least my "customer satisfaction." At any rate I found the 30" cube second-hand from a friend of a friend so I had no need to go the custom-build route in the end on that one.