Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-13-2005, 03:21 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Marcel I thought you were dead ,havent heard from ya in awhile.

mike
Old 07-13-2005, 04:47 AM

Diana is on a distinguished road

Yeah im really looking forward to a new challenge. Hopefully everything will work out. Im emptying the tank on sunday and will begin the transformation then. Ill put in beach sand and rocks and ocean water, and see how cold it stays. Then I'll asses the chiller situation.

I used to volunteer at the Vancouver Aquarium and got to go back and check out thier systems (i even once went above the shark tank, which is only accessable from the roof!). I will try to talk to someone about thier coldwater setups, but im sure they have a huge system for them. I really want those little lumpsuckers.... thier so cute!

I make a thread to detail my steps with pictures... i promise!

-Diana
Old 07-13-2005, 05:05 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer
Cold water systems have few if any Photosynthetic organisms in them so heat from a large lighting system won't be a problem. Heat from circulation could be. You could allows limit it by running a closed loop instead of internal pumps.

I would just use the money you save on lighting and get a chiller right away.
well not really, considering almost all the neat stuff you want to keep in there is non photosynthetic they feed on things that are like algae (hence the dark greenish color of our water compared to down south, a lot more algae, which in turn translates to heavy algae type plank-tonic feeding which mean big heavy skimming to keep the water quality.

as for chillers a small one won't be enuf, you are looking at an aproximat 30 degree pull down for 30 gal of water and more if ther eis a sump ect.

Diana couple problems, around the Island where ever there is a good water flush the average temp in the summer rarely goes over 55 and if it does as in tidal pools it is not for a long time, so in reality you need a chiller to keep water temp under 60 degrees to be successful in the long run. also as mentions above tons of skimming/filtration and good lighting to actually keep food sources alive for the filter feeders. after you do all this you won't be able to see in your tank due to all the condensation so you will have to run out and buy an acrylic double walled tank to take care of this.. also the fact that it is more expensive to cool a tank via a chiller than to heat it with a heater by a large amount, see where I am going.. to do a proper "cold" water tank it is very expensive, but if you are fin with that it can be very rewarding as I know where there is some feather dusters I would love to have in my tank, they are purple and steel Grey striped and out of this world, but I digress. Look into it a lot more as you may decide that isn't what you expected.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:39 PM

Thats the trouble, I have been looking into it but there really isnt any information on the net. Its really just an experiment, Im going to see how it works out. I know I will add a chiller down the road, but for the summer Ill just collect tide-pool stuff thatll be okay at just under 70F. I know some of them tide pools get HOT HOT HOT under our sun. yes I know, not for long though. I dont want to take the temp down so far that condensation starts on the glass My friend's dad is into refridgeration and i know he's made chillers before, so i am going to look into him making one for me.... hopefully to save on some moola.

Ill keep everyone posted.
-Diana
Old 07-14-2005, 01:06 AM

Mitch#3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana
I used to volunteer at the Vancouver Aquarium and got to go back and check out their systems (I even once went above the shark tank, which is only accessible from the roof!). I will try to talk to someone about their coldwater setups, but im sure they have a huge system for them. I really want those little lumpsuckers.... their so cute!

I
Way COOL

you should have the inside track on info, even if their systems are huge it will provide a model to replicate and modify.

I love the sea pens and the anomies, so much cool stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana

I will make a thread to detail my steps with pictures... I promise!
I will be watching for this one and will hold you to your promise
Cheers
MitchMc
Old 07-15-2005, 05:06 PM

Scavenger is on a distinguished road

Hey Diana,

If your going to start a tidepool, I suggest you check out this link. Great info on the species you may want to concider. For quite a few critters it has max size, substrates and enviroments and even average temp for species you may like to try to keep.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

http://hmsc.oregonstate.edu/projects/msap/index.html
Old 07-15-2005, 06:13 PM

AWESOME link! Thanks so much, this is gonna help big-big .

-Diana