Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Nano Tank Talk

Old 12-08-2005, 01:11 AM

WWWD is on a distinguished road

i run a 90 without a skimmer so a 10 should be easy.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:46 AM

fishface is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWD
i run a 90 without a skimmer so a 10 should be easy.
good example! 'nuff said
Old 12-18-2005, 04:05 PM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

I certainly agree with the above. IMHO it is totally silly to have a skimmer on a small tank. You can easily change some water at little cost, and if you are really worried you can run Chemipure in an outside filter like I do with good success. However, reeefers seem to love expensive gadgets, so fill your boots.

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 12-18-2005, 04:14 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob I
I certainly agree with the above. IMHO it is totally silly to have a skimmer on a small tank. You can easily change some water at little cost, and if you are really worried you can run Chemipure in an outside filter like I do with good success. However, reeefers seem to love expensive gadgets, so fill your boots.
Bob, get off the wine or use your spell check

Bob so you are saying anyone who has a skimmer on a Small tank is silly? personally I don't care if you like skimmers or not or you run one or not but you can't call people silly because they run one on a small tank.

as for chem-pure it is not cheep actually I was very shocked by its price and you can build a ghetto skimmer for less than a jar of that. so I am not even going to comment on the saving money using chem-pure as I think it is bunk.

Skimmer are equipment, do you need one on a tiny tank... no. do you need one on any tank,... no. but you will be doing very large very frequent water changes. so what does a skimmer do? it allows you to save money by having another method of water cleaning besides pure water changes. does this mean you don't need to do water changes? ... no but it means instead of doing 80% every week on your 10 gal you might do 20% ever second week.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:15 PM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

I have 2 12g and 1 24g Nano tanks that I run successfully without skimming. Diligent water changes and rinsing of any sponges and maintenance of other media is definately required. I do run those expensive gadgets on my larger tanks but I know that some people have great success with no skimming on larger systems. I have not had that same experience so prefer to skim on larger systems.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy
Bob, get off the wine or use your spell check

Bob so you are saying anyone who has a skimmer on a Small tank is silly? personally I don't care if you like skimmers or not or you run one or not but you can't call people silly because they run one on a small tank.

as for chem-pure it is not cheep actually I was very shocked by its price and you can build a ghetto skimmer for less than a jar of that. so I am not even going to comment on the saving money using chem-pure as I think it is bunk.

Skimmer are equipment, do you need one on a tiny tank... no. do you need one on any tank,... no. but you will be doing very large very frequent water changes. so what does a skimmer do? it allows you to save money by having another method of water cleaning besides pure water changes. does this mean you don't need to do water changes? ... no but it means instead of doing 80% every week on your 10 gal you might do 20% ever second week.

Steve

As I have always said every opinion is valid. IMO, and IME, any skimmer on any tank is a gadget that is not needed. You may argue with that, but it will not change my mind. In my system, I do not use a skimmer, nor do I change water on a regular basis. I do use Chemipure that I bought by the case for less than $5.00 per unit.
You may disagree all you want. but accord me the respect that everyone is entitled to.

Old 12-18-2005, 06:12 PM

Samw is on a distinguished road

I think the opinion that Steve was referring to was your opinion that everyone who uses a skimmer in a small tank is silly. I think the people who use skimmers in small tanks also are entitled to some respect as well.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samw
I think the opinion that Steve was referring to was your opinion that everyone who uses a skimmer in a small tank is silly. I think the people who use skimmers in small tanks also are entitled to some respect as well.
Sam when I look at my original post it states "in my humble opinion a skimmer on a small tank is silly" In my mind that says it is my opinion, and as such it is valid. You may accept it or discard it, but don't insult me. I said that if you want to waste money for a skimmer on a small tank, you are welcome to do that. I think I am still giving those who do that the required respect. I never did say that the person doing so is silly. I suppose the distinction between an action being seen as silly, and a person being silly is difficult to discern.
That is the problem with the printed word. Often intent is unknown. That is why the smilies on the old board will be missed by me.

Old 12-18-2005, 06:30 PM

Samw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob I
That is why the smilies on the old board will be missed by me.
Bob, smilies are still there. You can find them in the Standard Editor. To use the Standard Editor, you have to go to the User Control Panel and change your options.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:49 PM

Thanks Sam, I will have look to see if I can locate them.