Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 02-18-2005, 10:36 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan7
What exactly does a Ghetto Reef entail?

Sounds like a reef tank with a sub par environment. I don't think many reefers would condone a website suporting poor quality ways to keep a reef.

Isn't the general idea to move out of the Ghetto?
Ryan think of it as a reef using cheep alternatives to acomplish the same end, instead of using acrylic tube for the skimmer, it can be made from PVC or ABS pipe and work just as good but cost 1/10th of the price for material. instead of using wood to make a nice stand a few cinder blocks and a board to make the top.. using 5600K light bulbs that are cheep instead of 10000K bulbs, both grow coral great but one looks better than the other.. ect...

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:22 AM

BCOrchidGuy is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input there Steve, Ryan what I want to do is set up a reef that is well kept but on a budget. We have people on this board who don't skim, don't use MH light and who don't even do water changes and yet they have pretty darned nice tanks.
Myself I do water changes, I've gone skimmerless and had a nice tank but then I put a skimmer on and it pulls a ton of stuff out of the water but I don't notice anything growing better or better polyp extention.
So I'm claiming we can have a nice reef with out 250w DE HQI bulbs on electronic ballasts, with out a Tunze skimmer or a Ca Reactor. We can have a nice reef on a budget, I've done it before and I'm going to document it.
In the reef club here people were always generous, frags where traded and donated and just plain shoved to people who liked the frag or needed something to fill a space. All I'm asking is, once I have the reef set up, if people have something they are fragging, please keep me in mind. I'm not asking people to give up their Tunze streams (but.. ya know).
Ghetto just means budget, low cost.. if you do a search in here you'll see a number of references to ghetto reefs and darned if some aren't very nice.

Doug
Old 02-19-2005, 02:30 AM

Murminator is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Murminator

<<<-------Ghetto reef and proud of it

I reserve the right to hijack any thread I want to!!

My carbon footprint is bigger than your carbon footprint !!!!