Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Edmonton

Old 02-15-2005, 11:40 PM

Keen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Keen Send a message via AIM to Keen Send a message via MSN to Keen Send a message via Yahoo to Keen

Quote:
Originally Posted by michika
What part of Edmonton are you in? Depending on the area your in your water quality changes. Are you using tap water?
i live right by southgate. I actually use safeway filtered water from the supermarket, the ones that you fill yourself. that water is filtered with carbon,RO, UV, and something else, so it is almost completely pure.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:41 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Keen Send a message via AIM to Keen Send a message via MSN to Keen Send a message via Yahoo to Keen

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy
How are the corals/inverts doing? Are they showing any signs of stress?
the inverts are doin fine, but the corals are also showing signs of stress, probably because of the SG. I am slowly raising the SG as we speak to get it back to normal.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:11 AM

I went to Big Al's, and they told me that the disease I have in my tank is more than likely velvet, not ich. So I got this medication called rally for velvet, and started to medicate the fish. They also told me that a neon goby would help fight the infection as they tend to remove disease from other fish. hopefully the neon goby does not die before the velvet is removed.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:38 AM

mr_alberta is on a distinguished road

I don't believe that a Neon Goby or a Cleaner Wrasse will do anything for velvet. I may be wrong though.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:17 AM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

That many fish in that size of tank... stress, I would venture to suggest.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 02-19-2005, 02:59 PM

KrazyKuch is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to KrazyKuch

How many fish do you have in that tank and how many corals and such...you just might have to many fish in your tank which would explain why your ammonia levels are always a bit high....

Do you have a sump, or are you using a cannister filter??? If you are using a cannister filter try putting in some Zeo Carb but just use one bag of it...That should keep you ammonia levels at 0ppm.

It also seems like they are just stressed from being in a new tank! and personnaly I would keep the water a little bit warmer, I keep my tank at around 80°

Kevin
Old 02-19-2005, 04:08 PM

snaggle is on a distinguished road

I have heard that the zeo_carbon works in the opisite way in a salt tak and releases chemicals that can kill fis and corals. please tell me if I am wrong.

Brad
Old 02-19-2005, 04:46 PM

KrazyKuch is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to KrazyKuch

I haven't heard anything about that....Hopefully it's not true but if it is then someone please say something so I know and can stop using it!!!

Kevin
Old 02-20-2005, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKuch
How many fish do you have in that tank and how many corals and such...you just might have to many fish in your tank which would explain why your ammonia levels are always a bit high....

Do you have a sump, or are you using a cannister filter???
I have 3 fish in it now. I have the neon goby, a clown, and a foxface. the only coral i have is some star polyps, which are not looking too good right now. i am using a hang on filter for my tank.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:39 AM

ok update on my situation. I bought a gallon of rally, which is suppsed to get rid of velvet. I used the conatiner over a 5-6 day period, and i appeared that all signs of the velvet were gone. there were still a few white spots on my fish, but i thought that the rally in tank from medicating would take care of that. It didnt, probably because my tank was infected with velvet and ich at the same time. I just figured that out now. So i went back to the lfs and got some more rally, because it looks like my clown still has velvet, and I also got some copper medication. I have set up the QT tank with some live rock from the main tank and started both medications, so hopefully my fish will be ok. I freshwater dipped them for about 20 min, my foxface might not make it, almost died from the dip. i think so they the fish look ok now, so im hoping for the best.