Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > New to the Hobby

Old 11-29-2004, 12:03 AM

Ken is on a distinguished road

Hi Steve, lysmata Wurdenmanni will eat Aiptasia. I found the info in one of my library of books, Reef Invertebrates by Anthony Calfo & Robert Fenner. Page 267 quote " The peppermint shrimp L. wurdemanni is one of the riskier species with corals, and has been known to eat large polyped fleshy corals LPS, and corallimorphs as readily as it eats nuisance anemones". This is a very good informative book I like included in my library, anyone out there whose got a favorite book? Regards Ken
Old 11-29-2004, 01:38 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Weird, i have read that book 4 times and missed that ever time. ( I was lucky enough to get an autographed copy at the meeting in the US I went to, and even to pull Anthony's ear for about 4 hours after at a pub.. very knowledgeable and entertaining person.) there is no mention of them eating anything but problematic anemone in my other book on invertebrate by Julian Sprung, or in any reading I have done on line.

I will have to go by personal experience on this one as I have always had polyps, and LPS in my tank and I have never seen one touched, but it is interesting to see and goes to show nothing is cut and dry in this hobby.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:23 AM

Ken is on a distinguished road

Hi Steve, books are great for references, but sometimes it all depends on personal experiences like you had. You're right,nothing is cut and dry in this hobby. For example is it safe to put a flame angel in a reef? Some would say no, some will say no problem. It all depends on personal experience. If you had read the book 4 times, then you must enjoy the book as much as I do. Oh by the way, how is your aquarium doing now with the new Bali acro? Best of luck. Regards Ken