Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 01-07-2016, 02:07 PM

Robbie2013 is on a distinguished road

Ok,
I have done some research into the tank transfer method..... I am leaning towards getting the stuff and doing that. I have a couple of questions

1. My regal tang is showing signs of ich and my clownfish are doing what I described above. I als have my dwarf angel and goby who look and are acting fine. Should I pull all fish? Or just the tang? Or the tang and clownfish?
2. How big of a tank would I need?
3. Everything I have read on the TTM talked about moving fish over and letting the parasite fall off. Should I combined it with a freshwater bath, or copper, or hypo salinity, or should I just use the salt water and keep moving them?

I am currently trying Hikari’s Ich-X for reef tanks. Its formaldehyde based and it clams it will not harm invertebrates or coral. Has anyone had any experience with this? I only started last night so I don’t know how fast or well it will work, it tells me to continue the treatment 4 days after the signs are all gone.... presumably because of the life cycle of the parasites. The only knock I have agents it so far is that I need to treat the tank everyday and do a 20% water change every day.... probably for 7 or 8 days. In my tank that will work out to 160 gallons of water and about $150 worth of salt.

Thanks for your recommendations!
Old 01-07-2016, 04:05 PM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

All fish need to be moved out of main tank,

Then it needs to aky fallow for 8 weeks so ich in main tank dies

I wouldn't treat the main with anything most stuff that actually kills ich will kill corals and if it doesn't kill corals it probably won't kill ich
Old 01-07-2016, 04:08 PM
Nano Bubble Lover

soapy is on a distinguished road

One pair of clownfish per tank. It is one of oldest common knowledge rules in reef keeping, you break it at your peril. A very few reefers have success with multiple clowns.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:05 PM

George is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie2013 View Post
Ok,
I have done some research into the tank transfer method..... I am leaning towards getting the stuff and doing that. I have a couple of questions

1. My regal tang is showing signs of ich and my clownfish are doing what I described above. I als have my dwarf angel and goby who look and are acting fine. Should I pull all fish? Or just the tang? Or the tang and clownfish?
Pull all fish to treat regardless if they have symptoms or not.

Quote:
2. How big of a tank would I need?
a 29 gallon should be fine for all your fish if your regal tang is still small.

Quote:
3. Everything I have read on the TTM talked about moving fish over and letting the parasite fall off. Should I combined it with a freshwater bath, or copper, or hypo salinity, or should I just use the salt water and keep moving them?
TTM alone will be fine. No FW bath, no copper, no hypo.

Quote:
I am currently trying Hikari’s Ich-X for reef tanks. Its formaldehyde based and it clams it will not harm invertebrates or coral. Has anyone had any experience with this? I only started last night so I don’t know how fast or well it will work, it tells me to continue the treatment 4 days after the signs are all gone.... presumably because of the life cycle of the parasites. The only knock I have agents it so far is that I need to treat the tank everyday and do a 20% water change every day.... probably for 7 or 8 days. In my tank that will work out to 160 gallons of water and about $150 worth of salt.

Thanks for your recommendations!
Any in tank treatment will likely 1. fail or 2. kill the other good stuff along with the bad stuff.
Now if you really, really want to try in-tank treatment, try new life spectrum ick shield powder (powder, not the food). Even that one has some side effects and some restrictions. Please read up on it.
So pick your poison and good luck!