Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-06-2014, 05:52 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanneP View Post
Sorry for not posting the proper info. I use C-Balance from Two Little Fishies and when my tank is stable I dose 12 mls a day with a doser. In the last 24 hours I have dosed 40 mls of alk and a little less of Ca. I am using new Salifert test kits that I have just got last week. My alk had gone up a little to about 6.7 this morning and my ca was at 415. I have done as Mindy suggested and I added 3 tsps of reef builder from Seachem. Is Cbalance not very strong? I will post the results of the alk at 11:20 when an hour is up. Thanks for all the help.

12mls isnt much and 40mls isnt much either , so yes youll need to add much more alk to get where you want it

some people have to does in the hundreds of mls ( a friend doses 1g of alk and cal a week in a 120g sps packed tank)

it would take well over 200mls of bicarbonate solution just to birng your tank to 9dkh, this doesnt take in account how much your tank uses.

if c balance is a bicarbonate solution then its not as strong as a sodium carbonate solution would be , im not sure what their product would be but it would be either or if its in salt form.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:53 PM
R.I.P.

i dose 40mls of bicarbonate solution in a 40g system that has mostly lps and zoanthids
Old 12-06-2014, 06:38 PM

LeanneP is on a distinguished road

I added the 3 tsps of reef builder and now my dkh has gone from 6.7 to 8.5. I didn't think it was good to raise the alkalinity that quickley. Now my question is how do I keep it there? I was using the reef calculator but I guess it wasn't really giving me the right amount because it said to dose 108 mls to get alk to 8.6. Should I continue dosing and add the reef builder as extra?
Old 12-06-2014, 06:49 PM
R.I.P.

Quote:
I added the 3 tsps of reef builder and now my dkh has gone from 6.7 to 8.5. I didn't think it was good to raise the alkalinity that quickley. Now my question is how do I keep it there? I was using the reef calculator but I guess it wasn't really giving me the right amount because it said to dose 108 mls to get alk to 8.6. Should I continue dosing and add the reef builder as extra?
actually the calculator is spot on , 3.3 tbs of dry sodium bicarbonate crystals will raise your from 6.5 to 8.5

generally theres no need to raise your alk that fast but its not necessarily going to cause harm , as i mentioned its a rule of thumb but you can def do more if you needed to

it comes down to what are you entering as your solution or additive if your using the brs calcutor?
Old 12-06-2014, 07:00 PM
R.I.P.

from what i can read c balance is a bicarbonate solution if it helps

this calculator has two little fishies as a product to pick

http://reef.diesyst.com/flashcalc/flashcalc.html
Old 12-06-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
actually the calculator is spot on , 3.3 tbs of dry sodium bicarbonate crystals will raise your from 6.5 to 8.5

generally theres no need to raise your alk that fast but its not necessarily going to cause harm , as i mentioned its a rule of thumb but you can def do more if you needed to

it comes down to what are you entering as your solution or additive if your using the brs calcutor?
I am not usually using reef builder to dose with. I usually use C-balance. If I dose c-balance and use the 108 mls then if I am dosing 40 mls in 2 and a half days shouldn't I reach 8.6? Or am I totally reading this wrong?
Old 12-06-2014, 07:24 PM
R.I.P.

Quote:
I am not usually using reef builder to dose with. I usually use C-balance. If I dose c-balance and use the 108 mls then if I am dosing 40 mls in 2 and a half days shouldn't I reach 8.6? Or am I totally reading this wrong?
Your not raking into account your daily consumption which us prob around 1 dkh, so in two days what you added has been used up making it seem like it not raising
Old 12-06-2014, 07:26 PM
R.I.P.

So first thing tomorrow add 1 spoon and see what it does

this is where a log book comes into play , jot down the alk daily then at the end of a week or two you'll have a solid under standing of what your tank needs daily.

Last edited by reefwars; 12-06-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:37 PM

Thanks for all your time and advice. I am hoping to get back on track now.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:36 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks for all your time and advice. I am hoping to get back on track now.
Sounds like you have it figured out now. The idea is to test, dose a measured amount, wait an hour, test again. Do that with the C-Balance so you know how much it affects your tank. I haven't used C-Balance in a long time, so I can't remember how much it should affect your tank.

SPS fanatic.