Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-24-2014, 06:54 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road

There are several reef safe angels in the genus Genicanthus.

The Female Bellus Angel is one of my favourites, they eat readily and don't grow too big.

Another nice one is the Watanabei but they get bigger than the Bellus.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:13 PM

straightrazorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to straightrazorguy

Thanks for the recommendation Tim. Unfortunately I don't find the Geniacanthus and Watanabei family attractive. I know they are the most reef-safe angels, but they don't do anything for me.

Currently I am leaning towards Multibar or Potter's angels. Having said that, I have always wanted to try a Moorish Idol. I know their track record is abysmal, and they may not even be all that reef-safe, but boy, are they cool! Are there any MI people on this forum who can share their experiences?
Old 11-24-2014, 09:03 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road

I would go with the Potters. Not as delicate and they hail from Hawaii so you won't get a cyanided one. I see the Multibar's occasionally on the Walt Smith Fiji stocklist(they won't be cyanided either) as they come from the South Pacific. Multibar's also come from Indonesia, one of the cyanide and parasite capitals of the industry.

I have had several MI in the past. I put one in my mother in law's 150 and she had it for 3+ years. If you get the right one they can do fine. They are sensitive shippers and can get their mouths damaged quite easily. You need to be very discerning when picking one at a store. If it's damaged or thin pass on it.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 11-24-2014, 11:03 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightrazorguy View Post
Are there any MI people on this forum who can share their experiences?
I don't have mine yet, but it's been doing well at the store for about a year. Great eater, loves pellets and nori, and only rarely nips at a coral. Not sure how it will do with my clam yet, but we'll see. Coming home in a couple weeks, then QT for 3 months and then into the display.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:09 PM

Default Moorish Idol

Brad how big is the MI. And what size is your DT? I read they can grow to 8 inches...
Old 11-24-2014, 11:12 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

He is what would be called a typical medium, I suppose. About 4 inches? Hasn't grow a cm in a year, so doubt I'll see any growth. My DT is about 115g, or 30x40" foot print.
To be honest, I've never had any fish grow at all. Ever. They all get thicker, but never longer. Maybe I'm doing it wrong??
Old 11-24-2014, 11:46 PM

Oh, mine grow. My copperband grew about half inch in the last year, the yellow tang about an inch, and the harlequin tusk approx half inch in 6 months. Maybe I overfeed? Anyway, I don't want huge fish...
Old 11-25-2014, 12:22 AM
Just a guy..

I feed way too much, and nothing. Weird.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:38 AM

Samw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I don't have mine yet, but it's been doing well at the store for about a year. Great eater, loves pellets and nori, and only rarely nips at a coral. Not sure how it will do with my clam yet, but we'll see. Coming home in a couple weeks, then QT for 3 months and then into the display.
That is awesome! You got any zoas? You may not have any left later. Clams should be OK. Water will need to always be highly oxygenated. Won't survive very long during a power outage without aerator.

Last edited by Samw; 11-25-2014 at 12:43 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:20 AM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samw View Post
That is awesome! You got any zoas? You may not have any left later. Clams should be OK. Water will need to always be highly oxygenated. Won't survive very long during a power outage without aerator.
No zoas, not my thing. But may look for cheap brown ones for food if you think that might be good