Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-19-2014, 08:03 PM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

Never heard of a cold dip. IMO this will only kill off the benificial stuff.. The nastys will survive.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:36 PM

SaltyDog143 is on a distinguished road

I had read somewhere that a cold dig will help get the bristle worms to let go of the rock, and when I did it sure enough they started to come out, I dipped them in the cold water and would splash it around some and most would fall right off, I did pick some off as well. Once done this I would put the rocks into new tank water at room temp. If I noticed at that time any majona I would get under them with a semi sharp knife and they would let go fairly well after the cold water dip.

I'm not saying this is the end all be all for pest removal, I just wanted to decrease the numbers significantly and I think I accomplished that.

as for timing to switch stuff from the quarantine tank, I was thinking next week if my parameters are still good, was really curious about what you guys all thought because you have way more experience than me.

thanks again
Old 11-20-2014, 12:43 AM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

About the bristle worms. I think you should keep some, but you really don't have a choice. Unless you kill everything on the LR, there will always be some in the nooks and crannies.
If you want to decrease the population, there is a way.
Take a piece of an old nylon from your wife and put some food into it. Like maybe a 6mmx6mm piece of shrimp, anything really.Tie it up. Leave it in the QT tank overnight. The bristle worms will get stuck in the fine weave of the nylon. Just take the whole thing and chuck it in the morning.
Repeat as often as you wish.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillegom View Post
About the bristle worms. I think you should keep some, but you really don't have a choice. Unless you kill everything on the LR, there will always be some in the nooks and crannies.
If you want to decrease the population, there is a way.
Take a piece of an old nylon from your wife and put some food into it. Like maybe a 6mmx6mm piece of shrimp, anything really.Tie it up. Leave it in the QT tank overnight. The bristle worms will get stuck in the fine weave of the nylon. Just take the whole thing and chuck it in the morning.
Repeat as often as you wish.

Hmph....cool idea, like I said wasn't trying to get rid of all of them but wanted to drastically limit the number of them, will keep your idea in mind
Old 11-20-2014, 02:19 AM

duncangweller is on a distinguished road

Take a pic of it if you do it. I would like to see
Old 11-20-2014, 02:24 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokareefer View Post
I would make sure all the Majona's are gone for at least a month in the quarantine tank before putting it into the display. You will never get rid of them once they are in the display and will be a constant headache.
My thoughts too. The cold dip won't harm the Majano Anemones.

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:31 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

bristle worms are OK, but if you really really want to get rid of them, I've noticed that Coral Rx Pro does a great job of nuking them :-)

It sounded to me like you had already taken the live rock out of the QT tank and put them into the display tank?
Old 11-20-2014, 03:35 AM

Ok a little update......

checked the nitrate level in the Q tank, after doing 25% water change last night, still at 160ppm tonight, so we are going to do a 50% change tonight.

display tank....suddenly looks like its getting green algae on the the rocks?, should i put some of the cleaner crew in there?

As for my rocks, i put 5 rocks in the q tank upon start up all the rest went into the display tank.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:54 AM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you are going through a cycle. I would not buy anything live until the nitrates settle down.
That is if your test kit is ok. Maybe bring in a sample of water to your local LFS to check.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:17 AM

The high nitrate level is in the quarantine tank, the green algae is in the display, only rocks and sand in the display tank just yet, the test kits was bought this past weekend, I hope its good?

The original water in the quarantine tank is from the tank the rock and fish came out of, last night we did 25% change, tonight we did another 50% change, will see how the nitrates are tomorrow night.