Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-06-2014, 04:41 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistant View Post
I don't know what the PO4 is in the display or what it was in the LR pot. I did 3 or 4 water changes during the cooking so I guess not enough… yes
I do have most of that in the DT, probably about 30 lbs in the sump from the 200. The tank is between my family room and office so dual viewing. I have a established 55 gallon as well that is shy of rock so likely some is destine for it. I welcome the advice hence the posts as I took over the 55 (abused tank and critters) in May so still very new to the hobby.
OK
You may want to buy at least a PO4 test kit, or better a Hanna PO4 digital meter. Or at the top of the scale is a Phosphorus Low Range Meter $$$$
The Hanna PO4 will do you just fine (the phosphosus tester is very low range and you don't need it). You can get it in Canada from Reef Supplies but you will need to make your decision about what tester you want - phosphate or phosphorus

Since you opened the door ...

Get all that extra rock out of your tank and dump it in a bucket, including the stuff you have in your sump. It's just a big detritus trap
No LR in your sump is a good idea. Some do it with success, but you have to keep it clean

Look over all your rock ...
Play with it in your tank. Make different piles. Get it the way you want it.
Take it from someone who has limited space in a 75G ... keep everything away from the glass for cleaning and, above most for anyone, keep the structures below the half-way point top-bottom so the corals have somewhere to grow.
I've looked at so many great-looking tanks lately that I'm convinced the best-looking setup has the LR stopping at half the height of the tank

After you have decided what you want to keep, Sell that stuff !!! $$$
Old 02-06-2014, 04:41 AM

Persistant is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
Thanks Greg

I'm not sure if I gradgeated, but I went through the 'School of Mindy'
She was there for me throughout my whole initial planning stage and I can't thank her enough

Plus I learned a whole bunch more from all of us CanReefers, so many more get credit for my limited knowledge ....

Persistant, I'd recommend the linked Mindy info if you haven't already read something as informative

Good luck !!
Thanks for the info guys. More reading and time to burn!
Old 02-06-2014, 04:44 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistant View Post
Thanks for the info guys. More reading and time to burn!
More info added after the quote ...
I edited a bit

Good luck and keep the questions coming