Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-17-2014, 01:27 AM

AquaPin is on a distinguished road

I am pro filter sock. Change it out every few days, through the dirty ones in a bucket. I do not even flip inside out. Just a bit of bleach and double rinse cycle and they are good to go again.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:00 AM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Work for me so far

I was running a filter sock and found it a total PITA changing them out every 2-3 days and washing them etc. As well I didn't like the idea of them collecting pods which are a good food source for my mandarin and scooter blenny. 200 micron doesn't let anything through.
I built a filter rack that fits into the middle narrow channel section of my Oceanic sump that enters into the last chamber where my return pump is located, I use the rolled filter floss media that J&L sells which seems to catch most of the detris but seems to let the pods through.
My DT is crystal clear and I change the floss media every 3-4 days, I plan on doing a vac in the sump every couple of water changes. I'll monitor this method for a while as it's only been in place for a month or so but so far so good and I like "new floss in" old gets turfed.