Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-22-2013, 03:14 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

I personally would have an inch or so of covering on your bottom for a couple of reasons. To protect the bottom from accidental drops of rocks or other heavy objects, give your inverts and bottom dwellers something to rest or play in/on, easier removal or moving of encrusting coral and lastly if not least pure aesthetics.

More than likely you will have bare spots anyway but IMO you would still have the "natural" look
Old 12-22-2013, 04:57 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Why can't the clams go on the sand? Mine's been on the sand for 4 years and is happy as a, well, you know..
Does it just sit in the sand Brad or on a rock in the sand? If so how does it attach then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchM View Post
I've started out bare, but I have a favia that is now starting to grow onto the acrylic bottom, which I do not want. It will make it very difficult to move if I let it continue.
I'm probably going to start adding a few cups of well rinsed sand every now and then to give me maybe a 1/2" overall depth.

I liked the bare look better than I thought I would. Very easy to keep clean.
Yes, I like the ease of cleaning when bare. Usually detritus collects in one place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearth View Post
I personally would have an inch or so of covering on your bottom for a couple of reasons. To protect the bottom from accidental drops of rocks or other heavy objects, give your inverts and bottom dwellers something to rest or play in/on, easier removal or moving of encrusting coral and lastly if not least pure aesthetics.

More than likely you will have bare spots anyway but IMO you would still have the "natural" look
That was my original plan this time. I was going eggcrate, place the rock, then cut the 'crate thats left sticking out, then sand.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:01 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Does it just sit in the sand Brad or on a rock in the sand? If so how does it attach then?
It digs it's foot into the sand and attaches to the bottom.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:02 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Oh, and I'd really skip the eggcrate. I didn't, and I regret it. Some areas, due to flow, are always exposed. And really no reason for it at all. Not sure what I was thinking when I added it.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:51 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Oh, and I'd really skip the eggcrate. I didn't, and I regret it. Some areas, due to flow, are always exposed. And really no reason for it at all. Not sure what I was thinking when I added it.
Ya I remember that. Guess it depends on how many open areas I have like you