Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-16-2013, 12:59 PM

Jschier is on a distinguished road

Agreed, if the ich isn't affecting the fish (strong immune systems) then leave it as is. Something I just learned about ich, if left alone (zero additions to the tank) it will die off after 11 months. It is good to have 2 tanks as it gives you options when issues arise (I have 4). Best of luck and be sure to research every purchase before walking out of the store, good call on the tang.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:02 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Asylumdown give you great advice, I agree. Keep in mind that Ich (note proper spelling lol) is kinda like a fish version of human influenza - most people/fish get it occasionally, and it's usually overcome by healthy individuals. I would take Asylumdown's advice and sit back to watch the tank for awhile.

Imo, attempting to make a tank completely Ich free is fairly easily accomplished by following a 12 week quarantine with hyposalinity and keeping the tank fallow for that time, plus same quarantine for incoming fish. I don't think it is something that is that imperative, and 12 weeks is a long time. Do I think it is worth it for a Biocube? No. Do I think it is worth it if you're setting up a big tank and planning a bunch of very expensive (and usually less common) fish? Yeah, that might be a good idea. Do many people do it? I can only think of a couple people I know that follow this VERY strictly.

Imo, there is no Angelfish nor any Tang that would be suitable for a Biocube - they all get too big and too aggressive, so it's tough luck that the Angelfish was returned. If the tank hums along without a hitch for 3-4 weeks, consider adding a small fish like a Shrimp Goby (with a cool pistol shrimp) or one of the small species of Blenny like a Tailspot, Pictus, or Tiger. Not one of the big Blennies like the Lawnmower or Bicolor.

I like hyposalinity in quarantine for new fish. I do not recommend it as a means of treatment since hypo doesn't work fast enough for a serious Ich infection, and I don't recommend treating mild Ich infections, so that leaves a moot point there. I also don't like copper treatment - for anything. Chloroquine phosphate is a much easier and safer method of treatment in place of copper, although more difficult to obtain (purchase ahead of time!).

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 11-16-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:37 PM

Scuba Diver Gal is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone. By the way I knew how to spell ich but every time I spelt it correctly my mac would autocorrect to "icy"…so I left it at ick to avoid having to go back and change it.

My 2 clowns and purple fire fish are still fine. Eating and acting completely normal. We still have this quarantine tank so before we add anything else we will quarantine them. Should have done this in the first place.

I guess my biggest concern at this point is how to avoid bringing any ich into my new tank. Do I set up the new tank with new LR and then drop the salinity in the biocube and let those fish stay in there for 12 weeks and then bring them over? My son has an eye on a new tank (only 2 months in and he's already wanting to upgrade)…Assuming then that after the 8-12 weeks of low salinity that the live rock in the cube also would not have any ich still alive in it?

This is confusing to make this transition and avoid making any mistakes like we have already made Thanks again everyone!
Old 11-17-2013, 01:44 AM

bulletsworld is on a distinguished road
Talking

What the hobby and stores will never tell you is that fish disease is a BIG part of keeping fish. It's also the most stressful for people and main reasons people leave the hobby. You can lose hundreds, if not thousands of dollars on the hobby, with just fish a lone. It can be dishearting at times, stressful and expensive.

After treating fish diseases for years in this hobby. Ich is the least of your worries. Most tanks if not all have had or still have ich in their tanks. Ich can be managed by good water quality, water temp, garlic/ginger treatments, light limits, and non stressful tankmates. Providing the fish are all healthy also. Keep in mind that even if the fish is healthy, the scale-less fish (boxfish, puffers, lionfish, etc, just to name a few) will be the first fish to show parasites & can't manage it on their own.

A good UV sterilizer is good to have also. If you want to be in the hobby long, you must always quarantine everything (fish, inverts, rock, any new additions). TIP: got a ich breakout, take away the light. Ich swims towards the light. Black out the tank.

Although its true, the treatment can be worse than the disease. So, if there is no sign of stress, lack of apetite, scratching, flashing to the fish, I would see if it can be managed by above mentioned stategies.

If you decide to treat there are other other options to treat fish besides copper & hyposalinity. But either those options or other require extensive monitoring, water treatments, and a lot of your time.

Btw... the tang police will always tell you that you shouldn't have a tang in anything less than a 100 gallon. However, you can have a very small tang (yellow or regal) in a small tank. I see dime sized regals that wouldn't be able to handle lots of current & easily get stuck to powerheads. Especially if you know you are upgrading later to a bigger tank. If not, you can always re-sell or trade to someone with a bigger tank.

Hope this helps.

"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
Old 11-17-2013, 02:53 AM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

You remind me of when I first started with sw, and first experience with ich. I panicked, set up a qt and moved 8 fish into that tank. Opted for copper treatment. I think by 3 weeks, I had 2 fish still alive. The stress on those fish, me and my family wasn't worth it anymore so those 2 fish went back in the dt. One lived another few weeks but had developed a lump under its fin. I only have 1 fish out of my originals I started with.

There are nasty diseases out there and for me I've been fortunate I haven't introduced anything serious to my tanks....except parasite worms I'm currently treating. My point is, you are in the beginning stages of this amazing hobby. Everyone here has an opinion on what's right/wrong and must or must not do. What I eventually learned is take what works for you, what you are willing to do and try and how much you want to invest both emotionally and financially.

Quit panicking, ich happens but as already noted, it can be managed with good husbandry. If you are planning a larger tank, learn on the one you have, then use it as a qt tank when ready.

Ask your questions here before heading to the stores. Everyone who starts wants their tanks to look like the ones who've been at it for years, but that's the key, it takes time and the first year is or at least for me, was the hardest.