Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 09-22-2013, 06:11 PM

Maverick00 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
If you buy an Asus router watch out. Some of them have a habit of corrupting firmware when they get a power surge, turned off via the on/off button on the back or get rebooted through the web interface. Get one from NCIX and test it during the first 30 days when you can get an exchange instead of having to send it back to Asus for an RMA.
How would I go abouts quickly testing it?

- 33 Gal - 20Gal Sump, MP10/Hydor Powerheads, Aquaticlife 4x T-5HO, Vertex IN100, TLF w/Biopellets, Tunze ATO

-45GAL Build in Progress!-
Old 09-23-2013, 04:47 PM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

Personally, I went through numerous routers over a period of a couple years. They would all fail and give me problems after 14 or 18 months. Netgear, Belkin, others. I splurged and bought an Apple Airport base station and haven't looked back. It's been running flawlessly for something like 5 years now. Well worth the money.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:54 PM

jostafew is on a distinguished road

Do yourself a favor, before you spend money on new hardware make sure that this one configured properly. On your laptop (or any computer with a WiFi adapter) download and install INSSIDER from this location http://www.metageek.net/support/down...er-for-home%2F

Run it, you will see all of the wireless networks within range of you and what channel they're on. I suspect that most of them will be on channel 6 (which yours is probably on) and they are clobbering your connection. Find the best channel (1, 6, or 11) with the least amount of traffic on it and change your router to that channel, will probably take care of your issues.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostafew View Post
Do yourself a favor, before you spend money on new hardware make sure that this one configured properly. On your laptop (or any computer with a WiFi adapter) download and install INSSIDER from this location http://www.metageek.net/support/down...er-for-home%2F

Run it, you will see all of the wireless networks within range of you and what channel they're on. I suspect that most of them will be on channel 6 (which yours is probably on) and they are clobbering your connection. Find the best channel (1, 6, or 11) with the least amount of traffic on it and change your router to that channel, will probably take care of your issues.

Thanks but already tried :\ At my old complex switching channels seemed to help quite abit, but here ive had no luck. Still hoping a new router will be a fix all.

- 33 Gal - 20Gal Sump, MP10/Hydor Powerheads, Aquaticlife 4x T-5HO, Vertex IN100, TLF w/Biopellets, Tunze ATO

Old 09-23-2013, 08:14 PM

Magickiwi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron99 View Post
Personally, I went through numerous routers over a period of a couple years. They would all fail and give me problems after 14 or 18 months. Netgear, Belkin, others. I splurged and bought an Apple Airport base station and haven't looked back. It's been running flawlessly for something like 5 years now. Well worth the money.
The Airport Extreme doesn't lose connection constantly or get overwhelmed by requests. But the range on it does suck quite a bit. I can't get reliable internet unless I'm within 10 feet of it.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:38 PM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magickiwi View Post
The Airport Extreme doesn't lose connection constantly or get overwhelmed by requests. But the range on it does suck quite a bit. I can't get reliable internet unless I'm within 10 feet of it.
That's weird. Mine is fine in my apartment from the one end it's in to my bedroom 50 feet away through a couple walls. And it worked fine in the the townhouse I used to live in when it was in the basement and I used my laptop on the third floor in the bedroom.

And the new taller airports have even better antenna.

Maybe you have interference from something else? I find my microwave interferes with it a lot.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:53 PM

Magickiwi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron99 View Post
That's weird. Mine is fine in my apartment from the one end it's in to my bedroom 50 feet away through a couple walls. And it worked fine in the the townhouse I used to live in when it was in the basement and I used my laptop on the third floor in the bedroom.

And the new taller airports have even better antenna.

Maybe you have interference from something else? I find my microwave interferes with it a lot.
I have a brand spanking new Airport, the tall version, and I'm not really impressed with its coverage. My house may be a bit bigger than your apartment but with other routers I've had there haven't been any issues.

My microwave only runs when I'm standing in front of it so it's not likely what's causing my issues.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:00 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick00
How would I go abouts quickly testing it?
I would try giving it a reboot command from the user interface. If no probs then try cycling the power by the switch on the back. If no probs then disconnect the power cable to simulate a power failure. If the firmware doesn't get corrupted ie you still get internet when it comes back on then it is fine.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 09-24-2013, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
I would try giving it a reboot command from the user interface. If no probs then try cycling the power by the switch on the back. If no probs then disconnect the power cable to simulate a power failure. If the firmware doesn't get corrupted ie you still get internet when it comes back on then it is fine.

Cheers,
Tim
Thanks for the tip!

I looked at the apple airport but decided ill prob stick with the asus.
The RT-N66U is on sale at ncix for 150 bucks until the 25th.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:11 AM

Just hooked up the asus and holy crap this thing is night and day from the old dlink. Great signal strength on all devices even going through multiple walls and a well isolated floor. I got the netgear adapter online but cant log on to the apex for some reason. Maybe because the asus has uses adresses 192.168.1.xxx and the dlink used 192.168.0.xxx....... this might be complicated now because i dont have the actual display controller with my apex system, i have my weekend project.