Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-15-2016, 02:44 AM

chefpaakk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
+1. Surely renters are allowed to hang pictures on the wall, making holes that are repaired when they move. Ceiling should be no different. If possible, use a stud finder to locate something solid to screw into. Drywall anchors for ceilings are available, but not as strong as a rafter or joist. If the light assembly is not that heavy, then no worries really.

Yeah I get that. I'm am uncertain as to what's past the drywall. The floors are concrete.. Would they put the drywall right up to the concrete or would there be studs too?

Also I know all the studs in the building are the steel studs. They aren't the easiest to find.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:49 AM

chefpaakk is on a distinguished road

I also think it might pose difficult to mount to an stand on an already filled tank.. Unless I drilled from the inside of the stand I guess.. But my sump is so large it's difficult to maneuver under there.

Tyler, the place that is quoting me says they would have one for me end of day tomorrow. I'll shoot you a diagram see what you think in the early am.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:55 AM

Ryanerickson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefpaakk View Post

I am waiting for quotes on custom items but they seem to be taking their sweet ass time!!
Warren
Old 01-15-2016, 03:01 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yeah I get that. I'm am uncertain as to what's past the drywall. The floors are concrete.. Would they put the drywall right up to the concrete or would there be studs too?

Also I know all the studs in the building are the steel studs. They aren't the easiest to find.
The Drywall ceiling will be off the concrete to leave room for pipes and wiring. They could be wood or steel. If they're steel, use a strong magnet to find them. Stud finders for wood don't work well if you have popcorn ceiling, low profile spackling works better. You can knock and hear the sound change when you're on a wood stud if you have a good ear. You can usually find a stud if you take a look behind a light fixture in the ceiling, and measure 16" on center. Sometimes the studs are 24" on center in condos though.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:23 AM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanerickson View Post
Warren
Ah yes Ryan, thanks! So Tyler IS trying to solicit business right under my nose. Tisk tisk. Bad Tyler!
Old 01-15-2016, 06:22 AM

iamfrontosa is on a distinguished road

I hang my 60" ATI Sunpower off the 18" ceiling. Best decision ever. Very clean look. I think you should go for it and patch it back up when you move. ATI hanging kits comes with butterfly anchors, and that's what I used. Didn't hit the studs. If you have aluminum studs, you probably wouldn't want to damage it.

Get a laser level. Laydown the light flat on top of your tank. Point the level up to the the ceiling and just use a pen to mark where you should drill.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:09 PM
Second Best

spit.fire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
Ah yes Ryan, thanks! So Tyler IS trying to solicit business right under my nose. Tisk tisk. Bad Tyler!
Just trying to help a fellow reefer out I am a fabricator and all...
Old 01-16-2016, 04:12 AM
The Don

Galizio is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Make sure if are 2x2 or 2x4 steel studs, also be careful cause water pipe and electrical wires are really close to the studs, when they do drywall ceiling on condos they most likely try to save as much space possible so concrete can be just2" past the drywall sometime... If I was you will get an custom hanging kit made... Just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2016, 01:24 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galizio View Post
Make sure if are 2x2 or 2x4 steel studs, also be careful cause water pipe and electrical wires are really close to the studs, when they do drywall ceiling on condos they most likely try to save as much space possible so concrete can be just2" past the drywall sometime... If I was you will get an custom hanging kit made... Just my opinion

Building code requires those pipes and wires to have protection - usually little steel plates that are mounted on the stud where the lines are.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:07 PM
The Don

Galizio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Building code requires those pipes and wires to have protection - usually little steel plates that are mounted on the stud where the lines are.

Not really, they use steel plate in wood building, on a condo where they use steel studs more likely they just use some plastic rings to make sure the pipes don't touch the steel studs holes, steel plate only get use if the pipes are really really close to the studs, most likely they take in consideration that drywall screw are 1-1/4 ", and believe me , I saw some were steel plate was not used or stuff like that, honestly is a big risk to take, if u flood 10 floor under you....