Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Wicked Frags

Old 11-13-2009, 02:49 PM

piusma is on a distinguished road

I realize you are having trouble with the frags. Your tank could be just too young for sps corals. From your other post from Oct.

Now if anyone can tell me how to rid my new cowfish of ich (which just appeared tonight) I would be grateful to learn about that...this reefing is becoming a bit of a steep learning curve. New tank..live rock from canreefer(it came with some attached corals), inverts and the cowfish and macro algae has been in the cycled tank about 2 weeks. It is the only fish and about 1.5" long. Normal behaviour..looks like it has rolled in salt crystals!Eating mysis soaked in commercial garlic..also eating nori. It arrived with a bashed hind prong that developed some fluff but that quickly resolved..now the white dots! What next???

I don't know about your setup exactly, but your corals can continue to suffer if you don't have enough lights or flow. Unstable PH or water param. Do you test your water param and such? It is a rather challenging when it comes to sps. You might continue to see other corals suffering if you don't fix the problem.
Steven
Old 11-13-2009, 03:41 PM

JPotter is on a distinguished road

I also think that some of his frag pieces are lovely corals. After the fact of becoming involved and speaking to others I came to realize he does corals on the side and that his "business" stems from pruning his own private collection.

I, like others, find the diversity of corals amazing and enjoy watching them in a private tank and am grateful that others share their experience and their corals when they are cut back.

I agree that the behaviour of one vendor will/can affect other vendors..that is why I don't understand why moderators do not follow up when there are several dissatisfied consumers.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piusma View Post
I realize you are having trouble with the frags. Your tank could be just too young for sps corals. From your other post from Oct.

Now if anyone can tell me how to rid my new cowfish of ich (which just appeared tonight) I would be grateful to learn about that...this reefing is becoming a bit of a steep learning curve. New tank..live rock from canreefer(it came with some attached corals), inverts and the cowfish and macro algae has been in the cycled tank about 2 weeks. It is the only fish and about 1.5" long. Normal behaviour..looks like it has rolled in salt crystals!Eating mysis soaked in commercial garlic..also eating nori. It arrived with a bashed hind prong that developed some fluff but that quickly resolved..now the white dots! What next???

I don't know about your setup exactly, but your corals can continue to suffer if you don't have enough lights or flow. Unstable PH or water param. Do you test your water param and such? It is a rather challenging when it comes to sps. You might continue to see other corals suffering if you don't fix the problem.
Steven
The cowfish was in a relatively new tank set up for me that had well aged live rock. It did have ich, continued to eat and behave as if it did not have ich. It is now away "boarding" in a large (900 gal) medicated system while the aquarium in my home runs fish free for a few months.
The sps tank (120 gal) is not new, other fargs seem to be doing well and spontaneous colonies crop up on the live rock. It is run on an Aquatronica controller that encorportes a temp probe, a pH probe, an ultra lith dosing sytem, a level sensor with ATO with processed water , protein skimmer (euroreef) 3x 250 halides and 2 actinics all recently replaced. The Ca reactor and chiller run with timers and sensors separately from the aquatronica system. Salifert test kits are used for nitrate, Mg, DKh and Ca. Little silver max's Mg and Ca are added as needed to the new salt water with H2O changes done about every 2 weeks. The nitrates run higher than I would like so recently I stopped using pelleted fish food and feed assorted frozen once daily and have also added cheeto that grows from another tank to help utilize nitrates and the tangs nibble on it as well.
Hope that helps to clarify tank concerns.
At this time other tanks include a small macro algae tank with no corals, a mixed softie, clam and LPS tank, another mixed tank with no sps and 2 small freshwater tanks.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:16 PM

Ryan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
Not to help Dave save face or anything, but he has stated many times before that this isn't a "business" for him, these are his own corals that he frags due to growth and has often wondered why he became a sponsor at all...with all of this in consideration, perhaps choosing who we buy from is just as important as the pieces we buy.
He has a name, a website, and he is sponsoring the website. Whether he likes it or not he is a business.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:12 PM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

So to sum it up, frags got shipped to someone else, they held on to them for some time, you picked them up and 2 months later your having issues with tissue loss?

I spoke to dave a while back about doing a order but he told me that the next couple of months are going to be busy. This was back in september. I do agree with him that this is his hobby and he produces enough frags that he could build a web site and offer them to the general public. He doesn't tax people, he only takes paypal or email money transfers and its just something to pay for his hobby.

Comparing him to frag-alot or what ever is totally uncalled for. That guy was out to make money and screwed countless of people, and what really made me laugh (sorry but its true) was that some of you kept going back for more thinking that some day this guy would change. Dave on the other hand has been excellent to me and the guys I order with. Always kept me informed, double checked with all the info. I would do business with him again and still reccomend him to anyone for amazing frags.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:04 AM

No..the time line is incorrect. It is now a long time out from the auction but I have had the corals about a week. I haven't had polyp extension on 3 of the sps frags and only one piece has "refected" a colored hue under the actinics. Midweek I noticed the ends of one frag were going white along with a section at the base. This frag was pale for a section of each branchlet from the beginning but there was no marked line of deliniation from dark to light at first. I could not visualize any pests. So far other frags have no white areas and I have moved the frag with the colorless areas to a place that is a bit lower in the tank to see if it does better in a bit lower light as I have recently changed out the metal halides.I would like to help this frag fluorish ..if you can suggest other things I can do I would be happy to try.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:12 AM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

hate to be the prick but welcome to sps. The one your talking about white spots sounds more like bleaching than tissue loss. You will notice tissue falling off of the piece if it has either rtn or stn. As for PE (polyp extension), don't worry about it yet. PE isn't his problem but more issues with your tank. Look over all over your parameters for starters. But the rule of thumb with sps is to be patient. I have some corals that have taken months to color up and show signs of PE. Everyone looses sps, and when you lose a frag don't get to worried about it. But at this point i would just let them be, they have had a stressful ride

From the sounds of it, everything was taken care of by the person who recieved your corals since he had them for a while.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:36 AM

The Codfather is on a distinguished road

Agree with LorenzO, pending placement and lighting, sps may not colour for several weeks, the majority of the sps I received from John last month are just starting to show true colours.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:58 AM

simplycoral is on a distinguished road

^^

I agree. decent PE extension always takes time and after the stress these frags have been through; i would expect them to take a while to flourish. I still have frags from a Vendor that i have had for 2 months and they are only just beginning to take off..

Simon

Simplycorals 165g Upgrade.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:36 AM

Derrik's tanks are wonderful...happy corals, happy fat fish and aesthetically pleasing. He have me a frag of a beautiful coral Thank you,thank you.