Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 12-30-2008, 10:15 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
At only 50,000 kms I can't even imagine what maintenance would cost $1200?!! I hope they gave you a list of what they did...what did they do?
Transmission flush, spark plugs, pcv valve, and transfer case. As far as I'm aware that's it. When I pick it up if there is anything else I'll fill you in.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:43 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoholic View Post
They did phone to tell me how much it was actually going to cost to do what needed to be done before they did it.

These are the 4 things that need to be done: Transmission flush, spark plugs, pcv valve, and transfer case.

For this work I was 1st quoted that it'll cost about $600 (on the phone she did say something about the transfer case and something about if the pcv valve needs replacing it'll be more) then when I dropped it off for the work to be done they told me that to get those 4 things done it will be more like $800. Then they called me around 1pm and told me that yes the pcv valve needs replacing and so does the transfer case and since it's a 4x4 and because I use synthetic oil etc. it will cost $1200, and was it ok for them to go ahead and finish the work. All I know is that I needed to get those 4 things done and that those four things cost me a lot more then what I was expecting them too. I told them to go ahead because the work has to be done. Hopefully that quote was with taxes and that's the difference between the $800 to the $1200 but I don't know. Heck I don't even know what a pcv valve or a transfer case is! All I know is that they are being replaced.

I don't mind paying to get the work I need done, I just wish I knew if that is a fair price for that work or not. Any mechanic's out there that know?

BTW I'll let everyone know what the grand total is today after I pay for the work and pick my jeep up.
No, no call. They did a service, thinking it was in for a service allong with the leaky radiator fitting. I do all my own services. They didnt like that LOL. Just means they dont get to charge me. I Keep all my reciepts for the fluids I purchase. And ALL my fluieds greatly exceed Dodge's reccomendations, so they cant say I use inferior products.

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 12-31-2008, 12:42 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

So the grad total with tax is $1280.97 Other then labor the stupid transfer case was the cause of most of the cost So here's the breakdown:

For labor & parts;
Minor tune up and spark plugs- $249.99
Transfer case SVC- $519.99
Transmission service- $183.51
PCV valve- $96.00
MISC (environ fee & shop fees)- $34.00
Tax- $61.00

On the last page it's broken down as:

Labor $732.96!!!!!! (boy am I in the wrong field)
Parts $453.01
MISC $34.00
Tax $61.00
Total $1280.97 *YUCK!*
Old 12-31-2008, 01:23 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

The transmission flush is one of the biggest scams but more common at drive-thru lubes. Hope for you they dropped the pan and changed the filter and filled with new oil.

What was the problem with the transfer case?
Old 12-31-2008, 01:24 AM

balistidae is on a distinguished road

do you have any details on that tcase service? I am licensed Toyota tech and we sure dont have any 500 dollar tcase "services". At that mileage i would only expect a drain and fill which shouldnt cost more than 100
Old 12-31-2008, 01:28 AM

tgoeujon is on a distinguished road

just curious but what happened to warranty? 50,000 should be covered for anything other than regular servicing. pcv shouldnt be regular servicing and unless they were changing gears and bearing on your transfer case, which also should be warranty you just got f@#$ed by the shop. im a licensed mechanic and a really big transfer case only holds four litres of oil and takes at most 1 hour to service.
what kind of vehicle was it?
Old 12-31-2008, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
The transmission flush is one of the biggest scams but more common at drive-thru lubes. Hope for you they dropped the pan and changed the filter and filled with new oil.

What was the problem with the transfer case?
yup, only TRUE way to replace all the tranny oil and do a service is drop pan, replace filter. THEN do a flush. just droping the pan only drains a portion of the oil. does not drain the torque converter, or whats in the passages etc.

If they charged you that much to change oil in transfer case, thats a RIPOFF. Transfercases take approx 2.3L of ATF. and are as easy and quick as engine oil to change

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 12-31-2008, 01:31 AM

tgoeujon is on a distinguished road

sorry dan but its not always ATF anymore lol, and if toyota doesnt have a 500 dollar t case service no one does lol j/k
Old 12-31-2008, 01:33 AM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

I hate dealerships. When I get a new vehicle I also buy a workshop manual. After warranty, I read the book and figure it out myself.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoeujon View Post
sorry dan but its not always ATF anymore lol, and if toyota doesnt have a 500 dollar t case service no one does lol j/k

LOL, What, are they back to gear oil again??? LOL Anyways, she's got a Jeep, and should be like my dakota, ATF. I just get soo steemed when shops try to screw people. Especially Women, cause they think they can get away with it.....

BTW, side note, think Im going to WL tomorrow, get some stuff from Ian, and Sydney's tank. Anything you want, PM me.

Hillgom, nowhere does it ever state that during warranty period, services and maintenance needs to be performed at a dealer, or a shop for that matter. I do all my own Fix it's and such, if I broke a part through 'abnormal use" LOL. I 4 wheel sometimes. BUT,, If it's a warranty issue, for sure I let them know. Sometimes I get them to order me the parts, and I do the work myself. Like my washer squirters stoped working. I got the parts, told them it was warranty and I am not making an appt, and wasting a day for a 20 min fix I can do in my driveway

Umm, a tank or 5

Last edited by banditpowdercoat; 12-31-2008 at 01:38 AM.