mr_alberta is on a distinguished road

How deep is the chip?
Old 09-29-2006, 05:12 PM

Arty Morty is on a distinguished road
Default Go

looks like about 1/8" or so
________
perfect tits Cam

Last edited by Arty Morty; 04-06-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:59 PM

Chin_Lee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Chin_Lee
Default pics

Arty
take a pic of the chip.
My thoughts on this is (and this is only my opinion) that a 1/8 chip if it is thin and lengthwise should be ok - i don't believe that will affect the overall structural integrity of the glass pane because the water pressure is evenly spread througout the seams and panes of the glass. If for whatever reason the pressure in your tank will be higher at the location of the chip, then I would be more concern.
Also look at the chip with a magnifying glass to see if there is any hairline cracks that could potentially expand later.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:50 PM

Default Go

________
CHEVROLET KINGSWOOD SPECIFICATIONS

Old 09-29-2006, 07:58 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Oi...

I dunno. I suppose you could use clear silicone to patch the chip back in spot (for aesthetics only though), and maybe some kind of Eurobracing perhaps on the inside.

If you intend to have sand in the tank, you could put a small patch of glass over the spot, at least the sand would cover it.

I hate to say this but I would have avoided a bent glass tank for exactly this reason, you can't replace just one panel. I'm surprised you can even get a tank with bent glass like that, it's quite a different beast than just a curve like a bowfront. That's a single point of failure for 3 sides. Sorry, I know I'm just pouring salt in your wound now ... you have my deepest sympathies. I would *totally* be going after the movers for a replacement cost on this one.

Best of luck, whatever you decide.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:31 PM

Default Go

Hey! Great idea! If I put a brace along the inside of the tank, say the whole width of the tank. ( so it kinda looks like it belongs ) Just stuck it to the front with silicone, would that keep it from bursting open?
Maybe 70" X 3" X 3/8"
________
MFLB VAPORIZER

Old 09-29-2006, 10:12 PM

RicePaddy is on a distinguished road

No matter what you do, I think you should demand a new tank. They can take your damaged tank as salvage, fix it and sell it to minimize their loss. The unknown is unacceptable. Once the movers fix your tank they are going to have you sign a release. When you sign that document you are SOL for future incidents. Demand to know who their Insurer is and file a claim directly through them. Or your home insurance may have level of transit coverage included in your current package. If "your" home insurance pays for the loss they will go after the movers insurers to subrogate their loss. This would be a good conversation to have with "your" insurance Broker.

I cannot imagine the damage that a tank of that size would cause to your new home in addition to the livestock you would lose as a result of a rupture. I am a Commercial Insurance Broker by trade and would not accept anything less.

I also live in St. Albert, so feel free to PM me and I can provide you with guidance to help you through the process.

Will
Old 09-29-2006, 11:05 PM

Default Go

I will talk to my insurance company, thank you for the advice. Also, my wife was back at the old place later on..She noticed that a case of beer she had on the counter was emptied. There were only a handful in it, but they were gone. The moving guys were the only ones left alone in the house. (Ok, big mistake, I know) That's why I posted in the DIY Forum.. I should have just done this move myself.
________
Granny Cams

Old 09-30-2006, 06:09 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

don't use that, bottom middle of a tank wall is the most important place to have the integrity in the panel as that is the spot exposed to the most pressure and flex. don't use your home insurance make the movers insurance cover it as that is why they have it. I would also be calling the company they work for and telling them about the beer also. anyway you look at it that is theft and these people are in the job of moving peoples belongings.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:13 PM

Default Go

Well, it appears that in the fine print of the contract " Any Damages to glass, mirrors or lamps will not be reimbursed unless properly packaged by shipper" ( how the hell do I do that? ) BS I say. They are not even willing to deduct the $150.00 extra for moving the "special item" Man! If not for the tanks, I would have done this move myself! I sure wish I knew they had sucked back my beer before I let them bring the thing in. Now if I bring up the beer to a manager, it will instantly look as though I am making it up.
Crap!
________
CORVETTE C1