View Poll Results: Sand bed or no sand bed for a sps tank with clams
YES 44 40.37%
NO 13 11.93%
Small layer 1-2 inches 56 51.38%
3-4 inches 13 11.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Yes I've experienced this myself. One reason I put my filter socks back on.
Same here. Floating particulate would reduce PE on my acros.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:09 PM

Reefie is on a distinguished road

IMO, you can never have too much flow! Blowing sand is just a matter of aiming the PH up a little higher so the flow doesn't disturb the sand. The particulates are what our filter feeders consume. Less flow and problems like GHA or cyano arise.

BBlinks, I believe your new 300G is also 27" tall right?
Old 10-07-2011, 10:30 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefie View Post
IMO, you can never have too much flow! Blowing sand is just a matter of aiming the PH up a little higher so the flow doesn't disturb the sand. The particulates are what our filter feeders consume. Less flow and problems like GHA or cyano arise.

BBlinks, I believe your new 300G is also 27" tall right?
It will be 27 tall, but even with the 210 sitting at 29 I still see a lot of stuff floating around even with filter sock in place.

btw I didnt like your comment in my pm box. A$$HOLE.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 10-08-2011, 06:38 PM

s.tan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by globaldesigns View Post
I also don't personally like the look of a bare bottom.
Depends on whose it is... LOL! Sorry, couldn't resist!
Old 10-08-2011, 07:30 PM

amoreira is on a distinguished road

I keep a 6-8" DSB. Haven't touched it in 2 years. Corals are healthy. No problem with nuisance algae. Water parameters are 0 phosphates, 0 nitrates. DSB is a good option IMO.
180 gal tank, 50 gal sump, PM RFCa6 Ca Reactor, SWC Extreme 250 1A Cone Skimmer, Tunz Osmolator ATOF, Aquacontroller Apex, Aquaillumination Sol Super Blue 6 x 75w Units, Acros/Softies/LPS/Mushrooms/Zoos, Purple/Powder Blue/Yellow Tang/3xBlue Chromis/2xTomato Clown/Lawnmower Blenny
Old 10-08-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoreira View Post
I keep a 6-8" DSB. Haven't touched it in 2 years. Corals are healthy. No problem with nuisance algae. Water parameters are 0 phosphates, 0 nitrates. DSB is a good option IMO.
What kind of corals do you keep in your tank?

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 10-09-2011, 07:28 PM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bblinks View Post
That's the predicament I am faced with. I got 4x6105 and a wavebox. Some times when the pump gets bumped by a fish and it will start a sand storm. I think I am gonna go with a bare-bottom for starters and if I don;'t like the look of it I'll just add a bit of sand.
I had a problem with my 6205 PHs where they would slip and point downward into the sand bed. It drove me crazy. I complained to Tunze and they suggested squeezing the C clamps to tighten the grip. I did this but was worried about breaking them if I squeezed too hard. After my first attempt, there was little improvement. I then asked Tunze again what I should do and they said squeeze harder - if they break, we will replace them. So, I squeezed to the point where I felt the C tighten. They did not break and they have never slipped since. Perhaps not an elegant solution, but it solved my problem.

I vote for having a sand bed. Get some sand sifting gobies to keep it clean. My sand bed is always white. I opted for a 1" sand bed in my bigger tank and it works well. I might increase the depth to 1.5" one day, but for now it's fine.

I like the DSBs too, but they do require more thought and need to be properly seeded with micro and macro fauna.

- Brad
Old 10-10-2011, 02:49 AM

Hi Brad.

It's always good to get your input. I think you are right about having a inch of sand just so it will make maintenance much less time consuming, and of course make the tank look more natural. The commander(wife) also agrees with the a thin layer of sand. So inch of sand it is.
Thanks everyone who voted and taken the time to reply to the thread.
Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcha0s@conceptaquatics View Post
I had a problem with my 6205 PHs where they would slip and point downward into the sand bed. It drove me crazy. I complained to Tunze and they suggested squeezing the C clamps to tighten the grip. I did this but was worried about breaking them if I squeezed too hard. After my first attempt, there was little improvement. I then asked Tunze again what I should do and they said squeeze harder - if they break, we will replace them. So, I squeezed to the point where I felt the C tighten. They did not break and they have never slipped since. Perhaps not an elegant solution, but it solved my problem.

I vote for having a sand bed. Get some sand sifting gobies to keep it clean. My sand bed is always white. I opted for a 1" sand bed in my bigger tank and it works well. I might increase the depth to 1.5" one day, but for now it's fine.

I like the DSBs too, but they do require more thought and need to be properly seeded with micro and macro fauna.

- Brad

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013