Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 11-26-2009, 01:43 PM

Binare is on a distinguished road

Retrofits might be a bit of a grey area. Most ballasts sold on their own are replacement only. I'm an electrician and for example. If I fix a csa approved light with csa approved parts, that's okay. If I take all the parts out of a csa fixture and install them into something that's not csa approved (ie. A wooden box made to hang over a fish tank) the fixture is no longer csa approved. I now have to have an inspector (not an electrical inspector) come in and give it a csa equivalent approval, at a cost of about $500 bucks. I make control cabinets for industrial machinery, all of the timers, relays, buttons and plcs are csa approved, including the cabinet they are going into. However I still need to get a csa equivalent done becuase the combination of all the parts in the cabinet are not csa approved. Csa covers equipment manufacturing and has nothing at all to do with electricians, different set f rules entirely. The only thing that matters to electricians is that we are not allowed to install equipment that isn't csa approved. Why do I say its a grey area? One could argue that a diy light fixture is manufacturing equipment, if that arguement was won by an insurance company, well you get the point. The other point is a lot of our equipment does not have csa approvals, I've yet to see a controller that does. Its expensive, time consuming and a lot of smaller manufacturers won't go through the hassle and cost of getting it. Off the top of my head I'd say the ballast and endcaps are approved, but I highly doubt the combination of those parts as 'manufactured' and use intended is approved.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:09 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keri View Post
Really? Our insurance company (wawanesa I think) has pretty much stated that Any "accident" caused by a pet or it's equipment will void the insurance

I do really hope that's not true because we have a LOT of pets...

thats nore like chewing wires, ect.. doesn't apply here as the pet wouldn't cause your lighting to catch on fire.

there was a fire on here a few years ago that was covered by insurance and it was simular. DIY lights.

usaly it will be an individual part that fails not the part we do, so if you insure all your concections are tight and use marretts rated for outdoors you will be fine.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:10 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Ok thanks guys! I didn't think it would be covered at all. I have to call and add the tank to the insurance anyway so I will confirm then. I'm always freaked out about fires because I'm paranoid about my dog getting hurt. If it was my house (my bf owns it) I would install a couple fire sprinklers above the tank.

PS I'm not worried about my DIY skills. I wouldn't do anything I wasn't comfortable with, and lighting is very basic when you buy the retrofit kits anyway.
a retrofit kit isn't DIY. you are using it as it was intended to be used when sold.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:22 PM

fencer is on a distinguished road

I would think if you build it to code it would be alright......
Old 11-26-2009, 03:09 PM

BMW Rider is on a distinguished road

Personally, I'd be more concerned with the fact that you doubt your wiring skills to the point that you think you might burn your house down. Whether or not your insurance covers the damage is a secondary issue, you still burnt your house down and with everthing you own and possibly yourself too.

There is nothing wrong with retrofit and/or DIY wiring or lighting so long as you know what your doing and do it properly and safely. If you are that doubtful of your skills, either buy prebuilt or hire someone who knows how to do it right. Saving a few bucks doing it yourself then losing everything in a fire is not worthwhile.

Ed
60 gallon winter tank for pond fish.
300 gallon pond with waterfall.