Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 06-02-2013, 11:27 PM

DigitalWeight is on a distinguished road
Default Plumbing is 95% Done

Along with finishing the stand, I was able to finish most of the plumbing. Today I bonded the PVC together and everything went ok. Next step is getting some flex pipe to connect the return pump to the PVC return - you can see that on the left.

Things look a bit messy with the Controller cords not properly laid out. Will get that cleaned up before I go live.

Next step is rinsing the rock. I can now see the path to wetness!
Old 06-09-2013, 09:46 PM

Default Look Ma I Can Do Plumbing - Installed RO/DI Unit

With my small tank I have been making water buy connecting my old RO/DI unit to a sink in our half bath. Works ok when you are only making a small amount of water but with the next tank I am going to need to make way more.

So, I just finished the install of a new SpectraPure 90-gallon unit that I hooked up right off the main water line in the furnace room. I was nervous at first since I have like zero plumbing experience but it was way easier than I expected.

Basically I had to cut the 3/4 inch line coming out of the water meter:

Install a tee and ball valve which allowed me to go from 3/4 inch to 1/2 inch pipe. The ball valve I was able to use made it possible to go from a 1/2 inch line to a mur-lock connection for the ro/di tubing:

Crimp all the connections using this tool I had to rent for $15 from Home Depot (they are about $250 new):

Which fed into the unit and ultimately into my storage container:

When I get some time I am going to go get a Brute trash can and build a stand high enough so that I can fill a 5-gallon bucket from the Brute storage container to make it easier to make saltwater for water changes. The ro-di water will go into the brute can for easy storage and filling smaller buckets.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:33 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

mango that is looking sweet love the white looking tank and stand well done
Old 06-10-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmer King View Post
mango that is looking sweet love the white looking tank and stand well done
Thanks!
Old 06-15-2013, 09:57 PM

Default Getting Wet!

Well the day is finally here - I got the tank wet today. I have to admit I was really nervous about this as I never dealt with this much water nor did a built. My last tank was a AIO so basically plug and play.

Things went pretty well. I needed more water than I thought and have had to fll another Rubbermaid garbage bin which takes a day to do. All I have left is the sump to fill.

I simply put a pump in the garbage bins, connected some hose and pumped water into the tank. Easy-peasy.

Although I thought I tested all my connection, I actually missed gluing one section of PVC to my ball valve on a return. I noticed as it was slightly dripping. It was an easy fix - simply emptied some water, cleaned and glued the PVC and am letting it cure while I make more water.

I have not done a full flow test yet as I am waiting for the water to be finished.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:41 PM

Wink Some More Progress

Things have been progressing along and most of the past week have been getting to know how things are working - adjusting sump levels, adjusting plumbing lines to manage flow, etc. etc. Here are some more shots to show what I have done to date. Please chime in with any questions comments as this has been an awesome learning experience but I have a long way to go

Crappy Pic (iPhone takes crappy LED shots when the blues are up high) of full tank with one of the two Ecotech Radion G2's installed. I had some programming issues getting the second on my profile with ecosmartlive.com but after a firmware reset and following their instructions to a tee (I pulled a guy move and didn't pay attention to the instructions) it all connected.

My Apex Controller is all up and running. As of right now it is controlling two Vortech MP40s, my fuge light, my biopellet reactor, my GFO and Carbon reactor, two heaters, and my skimmer. I will still be tweaking my programming but I got it running. This f'n thing has a steep learning curve but once you get the hang of it it gets easier.

Here is a shot of the Biopellet reactor going. It is the kits from BulkReefSupply. I have it up and running even though I don't have any livestock as they say it takes a good 8 weeks to get up and running. I have seeded it with KZ Zeobak to help it along. Behind the reactor you can see the GFO/Carbon reactor - I have nothing in these right now as I don't want to waste any product when I don't need it yet.

Finally, here is a shot of the skimmer. I just started this yesterday so I have a long way to go for break in. This is my first time using a skimmer of this magnitude so I have a way to go to learn how to use it. Definitely need to play with the adjustments (will put up another thread on my questions there) as it breaks in.

I really need to clean up the wiring in here - embarrassing
Old 07-08-2013, 11:02 PM

Default Photos of the Tank and The Transferred Inhabitants (pic heavy)

Been a busy few weeks as I torn down my 28 gallon and moved the occupants into the new 120. Things went smoothly and the livestock seem to be taking nicely to the new digs (knock on wood). My clown, which was very shy in the old tank, is now Mr. Social and consistently comes to greet me. You will even see a couple of blurry sexy shrimp shots in here - excuse the photography as I totally suck at it. Any hints?

Old 07-08-2013, 11:25 PM

Default Repost: Added Bigger Pics so You Can Actually See Stuff!

***Sorry about the multiple posts - added larger photos to see stuff better***

Been a busy few weeks as I torn down my 28 gallon and moved the occupants into the new 120. Things went smoothly and the livestock seem to be taking nicely to the new digs (knock on wood). My clown, which was very shy in the old tank, is now Mr. Social and consistently comes to greet me. You will even see a couple of blurry sexy shrimp shots in here - excuse the photography as I totally suck at it. Any hints?

Old 11-10-2013, 11:19 PM

Default A Photo Update on the Tank - Can You Tell I'm Addicted!

Been a busy few months with the tank. Weird thing in this hobby is you sort of keep going, adding things here and there as the wallet allows and you look back and things have really changed. Here is how the tank looks today!

to be continued...
Old 11-10-2013, 11:22 PM

Default Some more pics