Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-15-2011, 08:31 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Its a fluval 305 (I think). Running carbon, phosphate something (brownish red stuff in a media bag) - just started with this in the last cleaning, ammonia and bio filters (2 different types), I'm at work and dont remember offhand. I've been running phosphate stuff in the canister for about 3 months now, the stuff I'm using now is the first time with it. Last cleaning was 2 1/2 weeks ago, cleaned 2 of the pads, replaced 2. I clean every 4 weeks, replace media every cleaning.

A few months ago I realized I was not properly dealing with the canister, but with the changes I made, the tank has cleaned up substantially, except the red stuff seems to have really taken off.

I do rinse all my foods, mix up every couple of days, add selcon and garlic to food, keep refrigerated. Approx once per week I will feed the shrimp, but now that there are fish in the tank again, this doesn't seem required as they are catching food.

I will try to reduce feedings to once every other day...fish are not going to like me....
Old 12-16-2011, 02:55 AM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

I had all of the above kinds of algae. The only thing that ate the stuff in the top picture was a shoal tang (definitely not suggesting you should get one of those!), nothing ate the stuff in the bottom pictures. Once the shoal was gone, I basically had to physically remove it until I got rid of the tank.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:02 AM

Wayne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
Last cleaning was 2 1/2 weeks ago, cleaned 2 of the pads, replaced 2. I clean every 4 weeks, replace media every cleaning
You should try to clean the foam pads at least weekly. Other wise the trapped debis can start producing nitrates and it decays.

Oh yeah and thats actually nicer looking algea. So things could be worse
Old 12-16-2011, 01:22 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
You should try to clean the foam pads at least weekly. Other wise the trapped debis can start producing nitrates and it decays.

Will start doing that right away. Didn't realize I should be cleaning the pads more often, thanks!

Oh yeah and thats actually nicer looking algea. So things could be worse
Well by the sounds of it, I've got to start getting into the tank! Appreciate all the feedback!
Old 12-16-2011, 05:01 PM

toytech is on a distinguished road

ive had red turf in my tank for some time now and i have had 2 tubo snails out of 5 go nuts for the stuff , stripp the rock clean of it . I dont know if there different species or just have different tastes . My tuxedo never did a good job with any of my algea .