Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-25-2010, 05:24 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

The least expensive hang on overflow from J&L is $125 + tax http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/of...300GPH%29.html

The last time I went to Speedy Glass and had a hole drilled I believe it cost me $20. Its less expensive to do things right the first time.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 05-25-2010, 05:30 AM

Ian is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about your problems. I would take the PITA skimmmer back to the store and very nicely tell them that they sold you a piece of crap and that they where going to give you a refund or you would make a point of telling everyone willing to listen about the crap servise you got......this usually works.
As others have said get an external overflow and a sump and you will be much better off.
Good luck

Old 05-25-2010, 05:34 AM

RIPTANK is on a distinguished road

You don't need to start over. The Osaka 260 is a beautiful tank and can be used for saltwater as many have done. You can put a sump beside your tank and purchase an eshopp overflow box (the PF-800 is the size you need). I would strongly recommend you also buy an aqualifter pump made by Tom (approx. $20) in case of a syphon break. The overflow boxes are very safe so long as you get an aqualifter pump and avoid buying snails. I personally wouldn't waste my money on a hang on skimmer because they just don't seem to skim anywhere near as good as a skimmer in a sump with an overflow. Let's face it... You're not gonna get jack sqaut for your Fluval Osaka 260 on the private market and will have to fork out a bundle more for a drilled tank and stand that won't even look anywhere near as nice as the Osaka. Put the money towards a good quality skimmer instead. If you need any pointers I'll be happy to help you out with some pics of a similar set up. Cheers!
Old 05-25-2010, 05:39 AM

tony_3a is on a distinguished road

Well i was talking to the manager of the store i got the tank from and he said he would let me exchange it, but the only option they have left is the fluval venezia 350 corner unit, i think it looks really cool and has holes pre drilled in it that i could use for the sump? i would just have to adjust the stand a bit so i can get a sump made for it. Only problem with that corner unit it is seems that lighting would be a big problem considering i do want to try my hand at corals and such.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:40 AM

Mandosh is on a distinguished road

Theres a vendor on ebay called ameka aquatics that sells cpr overflows including the aqualifter pumps for about 50 bucks less than jl even with shipping, if your interested. Mine showed up in a couple of days.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/CPR-CS90-DX-Overf...item5ad80074d4

not sure if this is the right size, but you can figure that part out
Old 05-25-2010, 05:55 AM

tony_3a is on a distinguished road

thanks for the link! I do not have any space to put a sump around the tank, it is in my living room so the wife would not be happy with having just another tank sitting there. I have read something on how someone has put 2 small sumps on either side of the cabinet and linked them. I might give that a go. but i might also get the corner unit thats predrilled and put a sump under that.

Any suggestions with the whole corner tanks? Problems or anything?
The tank i would be getting is a venezia 350. just lighting seems like a problem.

Thanks so much for all the feedback guys I really appreciate it.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:04 AM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

Sorry to jump in with this but... IMO stay far away from hang on overflows. I know many people use them all the time with success... but the chance of a screw-up with them is about a million times more likely than with a sump... If they fail... your sump will effectively be emptied on to your floor (via your main tank). Its cheaper to get a hole put in and use the right plumbing than it is to use a much more risky hang on overflow. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 05-25-2010, 11:39 AM

Rogue951 is on a distinguished road

If designed properly then there's little chance for severe disaster.
my system has enough room incase either the return pump or overflow fails that either tank (sump or display) can handle the excess from the other.
as for the aqualifter failing one day, if you keep both ends of the tube underwater and check on the pump once in a while, even if the pump fails, having both pipes submerged will prevent a break in siphon.

And both box overflow and drilled overflow are used to feed a sump so not quite sure what you mean when you say an overflow box is more likely to screw up than a sump. Yes, a bulkhead is cheaper but sometimes that just isn't an option for people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky_Fish14 View Post
Sorry to jump in with this but... IMO stay far away from hang on overflows. I know many people use them all the time with success... but the chance of a screw-up with them is about a million times more likely than with a sump... If they fail... your sump will effectively be emptied on to your floor (via your main tank). Its cheaper to get a hole put in and use the right plumbing than it is to use a much more risky hang on overflow. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 05-25-2010, 01:17 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

If you decide to go with a hang on. I have a Aqua Pro hang on that I will ship at your expense and asking $150.00.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Tony...
I run several undrilled tanks with sumps.
If you need a hand figuring out how to sump your osaka, drop me a pm.