Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 12-21-2009, 03:47 PM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobytron View Post
An awesome movie.
James Cameron flick through and through.
The story may be simple, but it is a story based on true events, ones seen in recent canadian history.

Please keep in mind while watching that what you see being done to the people of the planet the colonists are trying to take over is exactly the same thing that the CANADIAN GOVERNMENT did AND IS DOING to canada's indigenous people (native americans)....

Only worse and with less mercy than the movie portrayed it.

When the Canadian government was turned away by the might of the people and their power in their land, our government just decided it would be easier to befriend the people, and send them blankets (a blanket is not just to keep you warm in most native cultures, it is also a right of passage and a ceremonial thing) laced with small pox. A disease to which the people had no immunity and hence wiped out nearly 90% of them in British Columbia.

This also wasn't that long ago, there are still people alive today who remember from being there.

I'm sure you can imagine how much easier it was to round up all their children and force them into residential schools....which I hope everyone knows what torturous and rape infested places they were...Thank you jesus.

the reservation system is much like we took tiny parts of their planet in the movie and let them govern themselves(under our rules of course, foreign as they may be to a people of the land)there.

It really was a great movie, I just want everyone to understand how close we actually are to being those company colonists with $$ in our eyes.

If you guys want to see a great movie without the Avatar budget or James cameron fantasy action watch Muffins for Granny

It will make you feel ashamed.
Sadly it is the truth,
what are the chance that the same is being done today to everyone else with swine flu? is this so hard to believe?
Old 12-21-2009, 05:12 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

except the swine flu doesn't seem to be racially segregated and the people it seems to be killing are a young, heathy demographic that killing off might hurt the economy.

Small pox literally wiped out 90% of Indigenous people in B.C.

I spent some of my summer in Bella Coola where there used to be over 35000 Nuxalk (newhawk) but after the bay on contract from the canadian government introduced those blankets there was less than 300 left to defend their land, heritage and children.

If you go to the smithsonian museum in the states, they actually have a better idea of who the nuxalk people were because they came in (through philanthropists and art collectors) and took everything they could find. Leaving only scraps and a very few elders who were outlawed on penalty of jail (which for the average native was a death sentence) to talk about their history.
It would eb a lot harder for the residential schools to teach the indian out of the indians if the elders and artifacts kept reminding the children of who they really were and where they came from.

I saw a famous picture in Bella Coola of a government indian agent digging up a child's grave marker, you can see that marker in the smithsonian archives.

If this swine flu is anything like what canada did wth small pox, tey are getting more merciful.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:32 AM

dsaundry is on a distinguished road

Story was simple, Special effects excellent, definate underlying message and reference to history. Wife loved it. 2 sequels in the plans.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:16 AM

cprowler is on a distinguished road

Just got back from seeing it. All I can say is, "WOW"!

At the end of it everyone applauded, I can't remember the last time that happened. On the way out a little girl around 13 or so said to her mom,"it changed my life".

I don't think it was the best movie ever but it is a must see. I saw it in 3D and I hope to see it in IMAX. I recommend you see it IN THE THEATER and in 3D. I have a big plasma TV and home theater but this is a different world.

I was skeptical to say the least when I first saw the trailer, I thought that it might be a flop. But after seeing the great reviews I figured it was worth checking out, and it is.

Last edited by cprowler; 12-24-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:25 AM

burgerchow is on a distinguished road
Default avatar

I saw it last Saturday, and even in the old Dolphin theater on Hastings, it was incredible. I think it's the best movie I've ever seen. ( I'm easily amused, short attention span . lol) I recommended it to everybody I know.
You should see it...
Old 12-24-2009, 05:05 PM

Norstar is on a distinguished road

WOW!!!! See it in 3D!!!
Old 12-24-2009, 05:59 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thought it was ok but nothing great. Effects were amazing but I really didn't like the look so....

Not my kind of film, I guess Im really not a good critic for this one.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:46 PM

pterfloth is on a distinguished road

I saw it in IMAX 3D. I really liked it and plan to see it again. As far as I am concerned, it is a game-changer. I am an incorrigible divx downloader, but this kind of film will bring me back into the cinema.

Though the plot was simple and predictable, I found the virtual world very creative and highly entertaining. Definitely a must-see for anyone who likes Sci-Fi.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:13 AM

Ian is on a distinguished road

Loved this show. visually amazing yes the plot is one that has been done repeatedly but well worth the money to see it in 3d.
hate that everyone has to over analyze and put societal context into it. I know it begs this but the concept of suspension of disbelief is one that I wish more would take part in. Honestly you can twist nearly any plot to sppeak to whatever cause you wish, this one is just easier than most.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:14 PM

dsaundry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Loved this show. visually amazing yes the plot is one that has been done repeatedly but well worth the money to see it in 3d.
hate that everyone has to over analyze and put societal context into it. I know it begs this but the concept of suspension of disbelief is one that I wish more would take part in. Honestly you can twist nearly any plot to sppeak to whatever cause you wish, this one is just easier than most.
x2