Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 01-12-2015, 06:00 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Found the text file that has the info for you. Web links that still work! Your WH5 ballast(s) is(are) able to run either 1, 2 or 3 F39 T5HO tubes. Use wiring diagrams 14, 9 or 8 respectively. Top of page 31 in the pdf of following link:

https://www.1000bulbs.com/pdf/Fulham...t-brochure.pdf

Link to another site with wiring diagrams. Looks like you already have them, but here it is. Perhaps others will benefit.

http://www.naturallighting.com/pdf_f...e_diagrams.pdf

With respect to a starting aid, I recall noting that as well, but they don't give much more info on that aspect. The lamps worked fine without a starting aid but I did add an extra ground wire to each clip on reflector. I think the ground wires also help minimize induced voltage & minor zaps when you touch them & the water at the same time! Also had water proof end caps. I mounted fans over the ends of the tubes for cooling since I was over driving them with the Workhorse 8 ballasts. I'll probably never use the parts again, so if you need some good end caps, I'd be willing to fire them off to Saskatoon in the mail.

Ensure you use the jumper wires from pin to pin on the end caps.

Last edited by mike31154; 01-12-2015 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:51 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Thanks Mike! So you're saying that if I run 2 bulbs on each Work Horse 5 they will be over-driven? If I run 3 bulbs on each Work Horse 5 they will not be over driven. Correct?

I have wired up the Tek Retrofit kits before, so I have an idea what to do. I can follow wiring diagrams. I like your idea with grounding the reflector - I did get a "tickle" from touching the reflector and water at the same time.

How much are these end caps you have? I will be needing 8-12 of them depending if I decide to run 4 or 6 bulbs, so finding a good source would be great! I'm going to put a Reef Brite XHO strip down the middle of the fixture too. I have an Aquatic Life hanging kit with the "arms" coming over the top (instead of hanging from ceiling). I will finish by installing a "wrap" instead of a canopy that can easily be slid off the front for tank maintenance. I'm hoping for a nice clean look with some big PAR.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Thanks Mike! So you're saying that if I run 2 bulbs on each Work Horse 5 they will be over-driven? If I run 3 bulbs on each Work Horse 5 they will not be over driven. Correct?

How much are these end caps you have? I will be needing 8-12 of them depending if I decide to run 4 or 6 bulbs, so finding a good source would be great!
The tubes will not be over driven if you use the appropriate wiring diagram. According to the chart for the T5HO F39 tubes, to run 2 lamps on one of the ballasts, you would use wiring diagram 9. Fairly straightforward, you use 2 red wires, one red to an end cap for each tube & cap the rest. Yellow to other end cap on each tube. Each end cap needs a jumper wire.

I think I have 8 of the water proof end caps & they are yours free if I can find them in my cluttered basement electrical graveyard. The reflectors are too messed up from salt spray to be any good. I've attached a double row of LED self adhesive strip lighting to one of them and am using it as a shop light, so that will likely be the fate of the others I still have. Tried cleaning & polishing them but it's a lost cause. At least they're not a total loss, I have plenty of the LED strips left.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:20 AM

Hey there M. I've located the waterproof T5HO end caps/sockets. 4 pairs, sufficient to build up 4 tubes. Do you want them? Shoot me a pm with mailing details & they'll be on their way.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:42 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Hey there M. I've located the waterproof T5HO end caps/sockets. 4 pairs, sufficient to build up 4 tubes. Do you want them? Shoot me a pm with mailing details & they'll be on their way.
Will PM right now. Thanks!

SPS fanatic.