Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 01-19-2011, 05:13 AM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Dude! Those are gorgeous! You grow them?
Old 01-19-2011, 05:21 AM

Mandosh is on a distinguished road

I wish those were mine. Cousin hybridises them in Indonesia.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:50 PM

Chin_Lee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Chin_Lee
Default Driving plants across the border

As a side hobby, I grow Nepenthes (Tropical Pitcher Plants)
http://ocps.proboards.com/index.cgi?...ay&thread=4343

In the above link are some pictures of the plants I bought from the US and drove them across the border. Further down in the thread, there are links and discussions about directive D-08-04 by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/plaveg/protect/dir/d-08-04e.shtml
which allows hobbyists or homeowners to bring up to 50 houseplants across the border yourself-for your own use to be grown indoors.

If you are interested in this, contact me because I do drive down US side to pickup items on a regular basis from my mailing outlet. I should be going down again within the next couple weeks.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:46 PM

Default how about this place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
They seem to be the best in terms of selection of rare breeds, pricing and international shipping so far. Most places that carry the nice plumeria have a $500 minimum order . If you happen to find a better place, let me know!
hi scubasteve
Not looking to hijack but since you did ask if there is a better place........ keeping my previous post in mind about being able to drive these cuttings up from the US, I just happen to be surfing on EBAY and came across this auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Hawaiian-Plumeri...item3cb45a1ff8

If you are not picky and just starting out, this sounds like the best deal out there. For those who want to pitch in, we can take turns selecting which ones we want from the 25.
I am not picky at all and they look beautiful and spectacular regardless how rare or unique they are. I would be looking at 3-4 as an ornamental addition to my house.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Lee View Post
If you are interested in this, contact me because I do drive down US side to pickup items on a regular basis from my mailing outlet. I should be going down again within the next couple weeks.
I am interested in this. You may have to help me make sense of this all as I have never done it this way. I have always been under the impression that I would need a phytosanitary certificate. This may be due the pests specific to plumeria? If you were able to help me figure this one out (or at least point me in the right direction) I would appreciate it. This would save us some shipping, the phytocertificate and an import permit. My only worry is if the plumeria are covered under something different. Kinda like CITES for corals.

ps. I am also a carnivorous plant grower. High five! I do mainly traps and dews.

And yes, I did see the eBay cuttings. That's what got me started but they're really a crap shoot; some were nice, some were not so nice. Now I'm wanting some of the more rare and beautiful varieties. Kinda like jumping to SPS from softies
Old 01-19-2011, 07:14 PM

You do have me thinking now Chin. These guys (the seller) seem to be a "cut" above the rest... explain how you normally bring them across if you may.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:16 PM

Its just exactly that. Canadian Food Inspection Agency have deemed that the pests from tropical plants are very unlikely to harm or be introducted to the Canadian agriculture. Plumeria is not threatened and is not listed under CITES so don't need to worry about that.
Here what I do:
1) I have a mailing address in Point Robert and in Blaine and I will order my plants to be shipped to either location (depending where I want to cross)
2) I print off the receipt of the plants I bought.
3) I print off the directive D-08-04 by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency in case there is a CBSA officer who is not familiar with it.
4) when I get notified my shipment is in, I drive down and pick it up.
5) I drive back, answer all the questions truthfully asked of me by the CBSA officer. If they question the plants, I provide the receipt providing the genus/species of the plants.
If they question me about permits/certificates, then I present the directive explaning that the purchase was made with that directive in mind and with the understanding that the (less that 50) plants i've purchased are exclusively houseplants for my personal use.

I've never had an problems as the directive is pretty broad and only applies if you have it with you on your person when you cross the border.

For unknown reasons, its a whole different ball game if you want it shipped to you or if the shipment comes through the airport. And obviously if its commercial, prepare to pay your duties/taxes.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:23 PM

Frankly, I'm just planning to buy from this guy:
http://shop.ebay.com/gover314/m.html
looking at the Texas Sunshine, Arzalia, Sassey and Windkiss. He combines shipping so I'm suspecting the entire purchase for the four kind will be less than $30.
They all kinda ........ look alike.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Lee View Post
Frankly, I'm just planning to buy from this guy:
http://shop.ebay.com/gover314/m.html
looking at the Texas Sunshine, Arzalia, Sassey and Windkiss. He combines shipping so I'm suspecting the entire purchase for the four kind will be less than $30.
They all kinda ........ look alike.
Ya, they've got some great looking ones. If you're starting that;s the way to do it.

I'm trying to track down some specific species so I'm going to stick with Plumeria Paradise but I think I will discuss with you about the border shipping idea. I would really appreciate that if you are willing!
Old 01-26-2011, 05:50 AM

Alrighty, I'm going to be pushing this ahead. Other than the people I've already talked to is there anyone else interested?