Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 05-02-2013, 07:45 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderjumper View Post
What does your lease say? most do say NO liquid filled vessels allowed without explicit written consent.

Unless the landlord has done HUGE renos no way can he raise your rent over the current cap which you will have to check with the Residental tenancy branch to find the amount.. Guessing 5% or so
The contract only mentioned about pets and nothing about water vessels. I might be able to escalate it (not sure though) but in the end, its just gonna make my stay painful even if I stay.

Here's the rent increase quote of Alberta:

Rent Increases: Notice and Timing

There are no rent controls in Alberta. Rent can only be increased if there has not been a rent increase within the previous 365 days or since the start of the tenancy, whichever is later. Before the rent can be increased the landlord must give the following written notice:

weekly: 12 full tenancy weeks
monthly: 3 full tenancy months
any other periodic tenancy: 90 days

So Alberta doesn't have any sort of % cap of rent increment.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 05-02-2013, 07:46 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

I can see their concern, water can cause huge problems for a property owner and insurance policies do not cover mould removal/remediation, however caused.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:48 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
The contract only mentioned about pets and nothing about water vessels.
Fish are pets. So did you not tell your landlord that you planned to set up a fish tank so that you could work an agreement with your landlord and put it into contract as an amendment or some such thing? If you just did it assuming that it would be OK then I can see the landlord being upset about it.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
that's sucky!! I'm curious too though, you said that your rental agreement clearly states "NO PETS" ? Did you not approach your landlord and work something out to allow you to have your tank? You've had the tank for a while. You must have communicated this to your landlord at some point or did you just ignore the clause in your rental agreement?
The landlord did know that I have one tank (the 20 gallon) and my room mate had another tank (29 gallon cichlid). I didn't inform him about the upgrade since, well this is just an upgrade from 20 to 70 gallon and fishes are not considered in pets. He just don't want two tanks in the house anymore and the 70 gallon has to be out that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
That sucks that you have to move! Would he maybe agree to the tank if you offered to increase your security deposit? Are you able to show insurance noting he's covered for any loss as a result of the tank exploding or leaking, water damages? Does your lease agreement state anything specific about pets?

I get you are at the point where it doesn't matter with this current landlord, but likely something you should be up front about with your new landlord to ensure you get into a place knowing you won't have to move anytime soon as a result.

Regarding rent increases - you really are at the mercy of the landlord on that one, there's nothing in Alberta limiting residential rates or annual increases. If a landlord doesn't like you, they can raise it whatever they want.

gl!
He already had an water damage in 2006 (I wasn't here) at the top floor due to something else (not tank) and he is saying his insurance won't cover a second damage. I am not familiar with it.

All in all, he was just saying he don't want to listen to anything. The tank has to be out. Its his business and he doesnt care about the tenant - yes that's what he said

I am already looking for house and I will obviously make sure that I have a tank to accompany me. If required, I will bring the new landlord to show the tank so there's so misunderstanding.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:52 PM

Jakegr is on a distinguished road

I have found if you ask up front "can I have an aquarium" before you move into a new place/sign a lease, the landlord will be fine with it. One time I had to put down an extra security deposit, which is legal for the landlord to ask if you have a pet. Most leases do specifically mention no waterbeds/aquariums unless permission is given, although I know that wasn't the case with your lease.

Good luck finding a new place though! I don't think you will have trouble finding one that will allow an aquarium. He sounds like a bad landlord, so it is probably best to get out of there anyway. Moving an aquarium is a huge PITA unfortunately.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
I will obviously make sure that I have a tank to accompany me. If required, I will bring the new landlord to show the tank so there's so misunderstanding.
This is a good idea. Even if your current landlord was Ok with your 20g, it would have been prudent to mention your upgrade plans. You did add a sump and a bit more complexity to your system. As a non-hobbyist the setup, however simple you might think it is can appear overwhelming.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakegr View Post
I have found if you ask up front "can I have an aquarium" before you move into a new place/sign a lease, the landlord will be fine with it. One time I had to put down an extra security deposit, which is legal for the landlord to ask if you have a pet.

Good luck finding a new place though! I don't think you will have trouble finding one that will allow an aquarium. He sounds like a bad landlord, so it is probably best to get out of there anyway. Moving an aquarium is a huge PITA unfortunately.
Yah that's what I am worried about. Moving others stuffs is just one trip but moving the tanks...a totally different story

Old 05-02-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
This is a good idea. Even if your current landlord was Ok with your 20g, it would have been prudent to mention your upgrade plans. You did add a sump and a bit more complexity to your system. As a non-hobbyist the setup, however simple you might think it is can appear overwhelming.
Yah I would consider it to be my fault too to some extend. I have to clear everything up with the new landlord I will be having.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:56 PM

Man I feel like an idiot putting it in the reef section instead of lounge

Old 05-02-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Man I feel like an idiot putting it in the reef section instead of lounge
but then I wouldn't be able to continue to pad my post count.