Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-06-2011, 12:54 PM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

I agree with everyone else that the water is generally harmless; although harmful bacteria can on rare occasion be found in our tanks. The odds are certainally in favor of the water being safe, but not 100% of the time.

I would point out that if there was something bad in your water, spitting it out wouldn't really be much protection from anything. I can think of several analogies to illustrate that point, but I will refrain. Considering the acids in your stomach, bacteria probably has less of a chance of surviving there then it would in your mouth.

I personally start my siphons by sucking on the house, but make your own decision. Don't assume that the water in your tank is harmless just because I haven't got sick from the water in my tank.

- Brad
Old 04-06-2011, 04:11 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

I'm sure we've all cleaned out our skimmers from time to time. We all know what our fish do in the water... What you're tasting is a highly diluted solution of what rises to the top of your skimmer. As mentioned, our bodies have immune systems, but clearly we're not immune to everything. Now that you're all grossed out, if you can get over the icky factor, probably not a whole lot of harm done, you may even be immunizing yourself in a rudimentary way. There are those who say every kid should eat a mouthful of dirt once in their lifetime, builds tolerance & immunity. In the end we're individuals and all have different tolerances towards certain things. Probably best to avoid too many shots of your tank water.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:10 PM

pscott99 is on a distinguished road

If you don't want to invest in a pump just submerge tubing in a bucket of water, hold both ends, put one in the tank and the other below and suction begins naturally. A little water mess from the wet tubing but it works. No salty taste.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:41 PM

Aquaria is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't worry about it lol it's nothing to me as I got cats and scooping there litter is much more disgusting to me lol I'll take a mouth full of seawater over that any day
Old 04-06-2011, 07:12 PM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

I think that, as abcha0s mentioned, there are very few things to worry about in your tank... potentially some rarely occuring bacteria... and also the risk of picking up a coral toxin out of the water. The water, the fish poop, the salt... it really is all harmless. I dont enjoy the salty taste... but I have to say that my FW tanks, I would drink out of them any day of the week. I do waterchanges (including cleaning most of the filters) every 5-7 days, with R/O water. I use a 1" ID, 5' piece of spaflex to get the water out... that moves fast, and it isn't rare for me to get a face-full of water nevermind a mouthful. Those fresh tanks even taste good actually! (better than our drinkable well-water).

Anyways im just rambling... but I dont think theres much to worry about. I get the occasional mouthful of water from fresh and salt tanks... I dont have any issues. I used to use pumps, submerging the hose, shaking the ones with flaps... and opted to go back to the good 'ol mouth technique.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 04-06-2011, 08:41 PM

shrimpchips is on a distinguished road

Ever eat anything raw from the sea? As someone said earlier, you're probably better off drinking from your reef than you are from your planted tank.

And I'm surprised no one's brought this down to Brett's level yet. So I'll say it.

Spit it out or swallow it, you still got it in your mouth.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:11 PM

DiverDude is on a distinguished road

You've heard all the commercials for the 'probiotic' yogurts on the market ?

Well, you just got a month's worth in a mouthful.

You'll be fine -probably even good for you.

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:18 PM

hound96 is on a distinguished road

i agree with everyone , you should be fine i myself was syphoning my neighbor sump in his reef tank and swallowed a good and chewy mouthfull , it happened so fast i didnt have a chance to spit however its a good thing there was a bucket right beside me cuz it all came right back out , tasted nasty but i didnt even get an upset stomache i was fine the next day
Old 04-06-2011, 10:24 PM

chewie is on a distinguished road

I just hope you didn't spit it back into the tank. Now that would be harmful...lol.
I have had my few mouth washes and I am still alive although I can now breath under water due to the gills I grew....
Old 04-06-2011, 10:27 PM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpchips View Post
I'm surprised no one's brought this down to Brett's level yet....