Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-22-2007, 02:16 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

I like it a lot! It looks really slick and clean. So what is next? Water?
Old 12-22-2007, 06:50 PM

imisky is on a distinguished road

i still have to get the skimmer and make my light hangers for the tank and then water.

im waiting til boxing day to grab a deltec mce300 since i cant seem to find one 2nd hand and i hope its a good skimmer.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:22 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Imisky are you going for the "ada design" very clean did you diy the tank yourself or have it made?
You should drill it and run a sump and then get yourself a ER135, Deltec is awesome and thought I saw blaster have one for sale an mc600 anyhow the bigger the skimmer the better and an insump is the way to go IMO.
comin along great post more pics!

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 12-22-2007, 08:28 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

Looks really slick. Good job!

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 12-22-2007, 11:04 PM

thanks guys, so i finished paiting the back of the tank and i got some styrofoam and painted the edge as close to the stand color as i can find with krylon fusion paint i think it looks quite nice

tang daddy- i am going after the ADA design look, i love how simple and nice looking there equipments are. Even though i am an ADA distributor for Canada and i am able to get the stands and tanks, i just wanted to see if i can get around the same effect as a full blown ADA setup.

i got the tank custom made as i didnt have the time to make the tank when i wanted it done (exam period but i got the stand made).i saw blasters mce600 but i think that one would be a bit too big for the 30g its skimming power is 4-5x the recommended for a 30g. I dont want to over skim too much do you think 2x over skimmer is enough for an SPS tank?i have heard of over skimming being a bad thing when it gets over the 2x mark

the reason why i chose to go with a refugium is i like the clean look and not many wires/pipes all over the place and less power consumption in terms of return pump and etc. and i feel for a 30g a 3.5g refugium should be good at nutrient exporting along with a deltec mce300, but i know that sumps are great and maybe oneday when i have a chance to upgrade to a bigger setup i'll give it a go.

picture of the tank with the back painted and the styrofoam

tell me what you think

Last edited by imisky; 12-22-2007 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:31 PM
Likes to play with Fish

I see where you are coming from.....
I guess the heater is going in the refuge, is it going to be BB?

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 12-22-2007, 11:40 PM

yup the heater is going into the fuge and it'll be a BB.

The one thing i cant make up my mind on at the moment is whether to have sand + chaeto in the refuge or just use LRR + chaeto. i guess i need some input with this one.

what would you guys put into the refugium? i heard sand + macro algae work well but require alot more maintance?
Old 12-23-2007, 12:04 AM
Likes to play with Fish

you could add sand to the refuge but I would probally run a full macro more space for export just make sure that when you set up your rock scape there is an area you can easily access to suck up the debri, something I should've done when I scaped my tank now the dead stuff is in the corner and I cant get at I'm gonna have to set the flow in my tank so it pushes the waste to the front oneday...

Last edited by tang daddy; 12-24-2007 at 03:06 AM.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:07 AM

so after boxing day finally came! so i went to J&L and picked up a deltec mce300 skimmer not really on sale 5% off but still saved money! haha.. the back wall of the tank now officially looks full and just enough space for the via aqua HOB calcium reactor ( anyone ever worked one? )

so im almost ready to get this thing up and running, im just curing about 10 more lbs of LR that i picked up today so give or take a month or less as i have other pieces of LR from my current tanks in there helping along with the cycling. the only thing left to do hardware wise is now a light hanger for my lights and a calcium reactor down the line to fit in that little gap between the skimmer and the HOB fuge.

skimmer:

FTS:

Last edited by imisky; 12-27-2007 at 12:12 AM.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:28 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

nah skimmer mimmer, with a tank that small you can just do water changes every week for about 2-3 gallons you tank will grow like crazy.