Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-05-2008, 07:25 PM
brandy

Default Is that mean a big start for me in this?

Mostly, I've seen people start getting into this wonderful reef at soe reasonable small gallons, like small cubes, 20, 30.. or 50...)
But for me, somehow, after finish reading a few book, google and google, I started this expensive hobby at 210G (170+40sump) system.
Is that mean my "step in" was abit risky? - Hope not!

And I 100% agree with noirsphynx about the "never end" as a matter of fact - As right now, my system is still under cycling (2 and half mnths now), BUT I already have a big plan for a giant system down in the basement- And the plan is already have SECOND VERSION DRAWINGS, cheez!!! - and the funny thing is, how much knowledge do I have about reefing? - Maybe, just maybe, PPM (parts per million, not percent though)

All I am trying to do is to bring a part of those pictures I captured from diving "into" my house ?!? -
have fun reefing to you all - Watch your pocket when reefing !!!
Old 08-06-2008, 03:55 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Yeah baby, 210 gal, that's the way to start!! No kidding, with that amount of volume, it's less likely you will suffer any dire consequences if you make an error. From what I've heard, read, googled ... starting small, especially with SW is more difficult since a mistake can crash the system pretty quick ... more difficult to keep small systems stable than larger ones.
I started with a used 75 gal, bought another used 65 gal six months later and now have a new 90 gal sitting dry in the basement waiting to build. The used 75 or 65 will come in handy as a sump/refugium.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:00 AM

marie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Yeah baby, 210 gal, that's the way to start!! No kidding, with that amount of volume, it's less likely you will suffer any dire consequences if you make an error. From what I've heard, read, googled ... starting small, especially with SW is more difficult since a mistake can crash the system pretty quick ... more difficult to keep small systems stable than larger ones.
I started with a used 75 gal, bought another used 65 gal six months later and now have a new 90 gal sitting dry in the basement waiting to build. The used 75 or 65 will come in handy as a sump/refugium.
While its true that a large aquarium is less likely to "suffer dire consequences" keep in mind if they do have problems they are a lot harder to fix...unless you have the ability to make up 200g of fresh saltwater

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 08-06-2008, 05:51 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Yes, thanks for that reality check, I guess I got a little carried away there.