Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-08-2006, 03:03 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road

Okay, perhaps scratch the cube idea .... grr. I am being informed that angels need lots of swimming space (which I didn't know) .. so I am being advised to do a longer tank. I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do here... size is an issue. Length wouldn't be good for two reasons A) I have a modded PVC light fixture made that is only as wide as my 20g tank stand. And B) I don't really have that much space in my bedroom.

Now.. I do want to make the tank more suitable for the Flame... but I just don't know what to do. I'm pretty confused, I am very unfamiliar with tank dimensions and sizes.. I really just want something pretty basic and standard, I'm not too picky. I just need to make the tank a little longer now to make more swimming room for the Flame..

I need some help! haha, thank you.

Scott
Old 03-08-2006, 03:19 PM

TheReefGeek is on a distinguished road

Do you have any pictures of this modded light fixture, maybe we can figure out how to mod it again to fit a different tank.

If you want to upgrade your lighting let me know, I have various size used fixtures and MH and fluorescent setups right now.

Old 03-08-2006, 03:20 PM

mr_alberta is on a distinguished road

Do a 24x24x20 cube-ish tank for now and use less rock. That'll give the angel more swimming room for the time being.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:25 PM

Can't have anything hanging from my ceiling unfortunately, hence why I have the PVC mod built.

Hah, of course someone asks me to post a picture of the mod just after I delete all my old photos on my photobucket account . Haha... this is the only thing I have that can show you somewhat what it looks like. It comes off the ground , straight up, then the flood lamp is in the middle.. it's pretty basic.

(you can see the PVC on the sides coming up... its not too hard to picture the rest.)

Perhaps I could just make the PVC longer.. but in turn that makes it heavier in the middle, which would eventually lead to a bend in the PVC wouldn't it? Also, the coverage is going to be pretty crappy with this flood lamp mod over a long tank.. I think it will anyways.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:34 PM

Looks like you used 1/2" pvc for this PVC light stand, if you want to use the same method but bigger, go with 3/4" or 1" for added strength.

Or use wood, pine shelving is nice, and pretty cheap as far as wood goes.

The 3ft fixture I used on my 50g could also sit on the tank instead of hanging.

Take some time to think about what tank you can fit into the space you have, then once you have the dimensions of the tank we can give more specific advice. I think a shallow 3ft tank with the HQI in the middle would work, if the edges (6" on each side or so) are a bit dark for your liking, you could add some NO fluorescents for cheap just to make it look more even. You can buy the ballast, endcaps, etc cheap for NO at any lighting supply company.

Old 03-08-2006, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_alberta
Do a 24x24x20 cube-ish tank for now and use less rock. That'll give the angel more swimming room for the time being.
I like this idea... obviously because a cube is what I want... and have wanted one for a while now. If I did just a big island in the middle and left the sides alone it would have fairly good swimming space.. and if I were to make caves and other various hiding spots, etc... what do you guys think?

I realize I've walked into this a little unprepared, tonight I will take measurements of what kind of space I have to work with, although I know it wont be too much... again, why a cube would be better for me.

Sorry.. haha guess it's logic to find out what kind of space I have to work with haha
Old 03-08-2006, 04:20 PM

You should be good with the 24x24x20 for the flame, that is a 50g tank, same total volume as my 3ft I had my coral beauty in, just different shape.

Leave room on all sides, and build some arches to pass through the middle if you can, and the flame will do well.

Old 03-08-2006, 04:23 PM

Thanks. I think this is what I will attempt... at least I have an idea down now. Something to work off of .... I'll post back measurements tonight of what I have to work with.

I suppose I'll need to buy or build a stand... i'd prefer to buy something, because I am not handy or DIY. What would be a very good, sturdy, yet affordable stand ? Anyone know of anywhere?
Old 03-08-2006, 04:23 PM

Beverly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_alberta
A 24" long tank isn't going to do it for the dwarf angel, unless the other horizontal measurement is 36" A 24"x24" footprint is going to make the fish swim in circles, possibly stunting/deforming its normal physiological needs (from a thread on RC), even though he/she has rockwork caves to swim through/explore.

My rusty dwarf angel is in a 48"x24"x24" high 120g. The tank has less rock than most similar tanks I've seen. The tank has lots of open space and a maze of open rockwork for the angel and other two larger fish to utilize. Having watched the angel's movements throughout the tank, I really wouldn't recommend anything less than 36" long.

Just my 2 cents.

Beverly's 10g Nano YouTube Channel
Old 03-08-2006, 04:31 PM

Yikes. Back to the drawing board???

The more I read your post the more angry I get that the LFS told me its okay in a 20g. I wouldn't have expected this from them. What a shame... then again, I am just as much to blame, I should have done more research.

So a cube isnt going to work basically is what yoru saying Bev.. I need something long... bottom line.

Well, if this is the case , then perhaps this fish won't be able to stick with me The longer I go, the worse its going to be.. this is in my bedroom where space is very limited.