Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-29-2011, 04:29 PM

shootingstar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
With space being an issue this may not be any better of a solution but you could look into an algal scrubber to remove nitrates instead of a skimmer. They of course require more work and are a bit unsightly IMO if not hidden well. Also if you have access to mangroves I think they are supposed to remove nitrates. Could throw some of those in your sump with a light if you dont have one...

FWIW I dont use any of the above options just food for thought as I see others are using them.
Hubby will never go for a scrubber in plain sight in the living room.... mind you I am waiting on him and his welder to get the new stand built so might be a good way to speed up progress and move the upgrade along.

In regards to mangroves .... and most of the things that most salt water enthusiasts take for granted.....I am in "reef-beria" no access to pretty much anything unless it is mail-order. Same for "buying used" suggestions. I see all kinds of stuff all the time for sale on the forums and 99% of the sellers won't ship so it's just not an option.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:32 PM

MitchM is on a distinguished road

Your nutrients are going to accumulate regardless if all you do is try to replace that skimmer.
I would cut the supply and return pipes, clamp on some flexible hose and set up a rubbermaid tub as a new sump, totally bypassing that existing tiny sump.
Trying to move a tank with nutrient and GHA issues will cause a lot of headaches when you move up to your next larger tank.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchM View Post
Your nutrients are going to accumulate regardless if all you do is try to replace that skimmer.
I would cut the supply and return pipes, clamp on some flexible hose and set up a rubbermaid tub as a new sump, totally bypassing that existing tiny sump.
Trying to move a tank with nutrient and GHA issues will cause a lot of headaches when you move up to your next larger tank.

Mitch,
This might be the best solution, I could buy the new skimmer now and set it up in a rubbermaid tub. Although I know lots of people use them I thought they were best avoided as they are not food grade plastic ?

Given this as a potential game plan does anyone here have thoughts/recommendations on the skimmer?

Assumming a total water volume of 165 - 185 I am considering:

Vertex IN-180 or IN-250
or
SWC Xtreme 200

comments on any of the above 3 or perhaps an alternate would be much appreciated.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:17 PM

MitchM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
Mitch,
This might be the best solution, I could buy the new skimmer now and set it up in a rubbermaid tub. Although I know lots of people use them I thought they were best avoided as they are not food grade plastic ?
I've only seen information regarding the rubbermaid Brute garbage cans that show they have plasticizers in them that can be harmful to invertebrates.
It might be a better idea to find a substitute for a cheap sump that would be food safe. I've never heard anything bad about the plain rubbermaid containers.
I'm not even sure what the plasticizers are used for. They may be used to keep the garbage can flexible in cold weather, which wouldn't be the intended use for the rubbermaid tubs. (just a guess)

Old 01-30-2011, 03:12 PM
pyke

Default Food grade tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
Pyke,

I don't think the tunze will fit, unless it's external to the sump somehow.

I agree an equipment failure is an opportunity for sure, it's just we are already in the process for an upgrade to a larger system and didn't want to buy a skimmer that was only going to see a few months of use. That and the fact that the only skimmer that will fit is no good.

There is a guy on here selling food grade plastic tanks if in doubt, I have a 60G food grade tank that we use for mixing. One Idea might be to replace the existing sump with a food grade tank and use it for mixing after your done using it as a sump.

also if your looking for a new sump PM me, I know someone that is parting out a few.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:55 PM

Thanks Pyke,

pm sent