Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-29-2006, 05:50 AM

andrewsk is on a distinguished road

Hey Rob,

The skimmer should not really matter where it is placed. Just make sure it is only an inch or so from the water surface if you are not going to run it in a sump right away. that way it can get more of the JUNK from the surface.

The overflow will be PRETTY safe. The reason I had 2 is for redundancy and to reduce noise. (you throttle one back a bit to keep the water level in the overflow high, and let the other one handle the excess) . If you do decide to keep going with the overflow, I would get another one (It does not have to be as big) just for peice of mind. Ill let you know if I do not end up using my other one.

Keith
Old 07-29-2006, 06:08 AM

RobbAdams is on a distinguished road

Just to be sure I am understanding this, if I use the CPR overflow rated at 1600 GPH I would want a return pump rated at less than 1600 gph at 4 ft of head right?

Robb
Old 07-29-2006, 06:29 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus
Albert has some great advice. The one point I might challenge him on is his recommendation for 1.5" holes for the overflows. Standard schedule-40 1" bulkheads require a 1.75" hole, IIRC. I'm pretty sure I've never seen a 1" bulkhead that would fit in a 1.5" hole. Schedule-80 bulkheads exist too and they require an even bigger hole. Unless he's thinking of smaller bulkheads?

I have a 1.75" drill bit for glass that you could borrow if you wanted. Drilling glass isn't too bad, I've done it many many times. I could help you out if you wanted.

I meant 1.5" ID on installed bulkheads. I totally forgot about the bulkhead sizing. The holes should be 2" to accept 1.5" standard ABS bulkheads (IMO, PVC bulkheads are excessive since the sytem is not under pressure). But yeah,thanks for the spot Tony.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:33 AM
Good Guy Albert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbAdams
Just to be sure I am understanding this, if I use the CPR overflow rated at 1600 GPH I would want a return pump rated at less than 1600 gph at 4 ft of head right?

Robb
This is correct.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:28 PM

OK next question,

I have probably 35-40 pounds of LR in my current setup, along with 2 Clowns, a Cleaner shrimp, and a starfish. Corals consist of some warty mushrooms, small orange plate coral, some xenia, some candycane, GSP a small hammer, and a finger leather.

Am I going to have a really hard time if I just stuff all this into my 90 and start it up? I was planning to buy say 15-20 pounds of LR a week until I have enough rock.

Would I be better of to not star putting my stuff in there until I have enough LR (Say 100 lbs)

Robb
Old 07-30-2006, 04:46 PM
Good Guy Albert

You'd be better off taking things slower. It can be done the other way, but why risk it?
Old 07-30-2006, 05:59 PM

Glennrf38 is on a distinguished road

That would mean me.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_dao
Hey Rob, come by if you get a chance and I can go through all the plumbing with examples for you. Really easy stuff.

Anyway, I'll answer what I can here, sans live examples:

They are, but if you get the chance, upgrade to a proper skimmer. A properly sized Euroreef or ASM skimmer will knock the socks off of any two, even three hang-ons put together.

I'm going to strongly suggest that you skip drilling the bottom of the tank and instead install a side overflow. This is pretty easy, just get the glas cut for a box, drill 1.5" holes in the back (that's right, holes, you'll want two - more in a bit on this), glue in the box and install bulkheads. Drilling the upper side of a tank doesn't comprimise the structural integrity of the tank, the same is not true for the bottom. Ideally, the overflow box should be 12" long, 4-5" wide and 8" tall for best results.

Now for the two holes. Using two holes will allow for a silent overflow, check Keith's (andrewsk) thread for more info on this: http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showt...t=25427&page=8

The basic idea there being that one hole (the one with the standpipe) acts as an emergency drain in the advent that the main drain (the one with the grill) clogs. The main drain has a valve at the exit that you throttle down just until the water level is a bit shy of the emergency standpipe. This keeps air out of the main drain while removing the drop that the water takes in a normal overflow. No air in the sump + no waterfall effect in the overflow = Silent system.

For pumps, I'm going to strongly recommend that you have your sump customized with a 2" hole at the return end. This gives you access to external pumps. External pumps > internal, no questions. No heat transfer, lower head-loss rates, easier to access and maintain (use true union valves when you plumb), lower noise issues, there really is no reason to use an internal unless you're limited by space or budget (the cost difference is about 25% for comparable pumps, with the externals being on the higher end).

You'll probably want to run anywhere from 500 to 900 gph, pending on how much flow you're going to get out of powerheads/closed loop within the main tank itself. Lower flow from main tank to sump being better (allows for a longer dwell time, a plus for skimmer performance). Since I'm at it, I'll also recommend a pump for you too: Sequence Reeflo Snapper. 500-2400 gph. Super silent, ultra reliable, plumbs with 1.5' tubing (AWESOME) and has a THREE YEAR WARRANTEE!!! The price is right too ($230-$250 CAD MSRP). The only down-side being that they arent pressure rated, but that's hardly an issue if the sump is directly below the tank on the same floor.

That's proper thinking when it comes to this hobby. All the newbies take note here :P

It could be worse, you could be asking zero questions.

Hope that's of help. And like I said, drop by when you have the chance and I'll go over the nitty gritties of plumbing with you step-by step.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:07 PM

So, I have decided to go with a Reflo "Snapper", as suggested by Albert.

I have a question regarding the design of my sump. There is a space beneath my stand that is about 18 inches across 23 inches tall, and about 26 inches deep I am panning to have a sump built for this space. things to consider:

1) Skimmer does not fit under the stand, but there is space behind the tank, where I could cut out a space so the skimmer will fit.

2) the pump I am going with is an external pump, so it also would require to be at the back of the tank

3) skimmer creates exessive amount of microbubbles so a baffle system is required.

4) I was hoping for a Refugeum area.

Any suggestions for a sump design that will fit within this footprint?

Robb
Old 08-01-2006, 05:06 AM
Good Guy Albert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbAdams
So, I have decided to go with a Reflo "Snapper", as suggested by Albert.

I have a question regarding the design of my sump. There is a space beneath my stand that is about 18 inches across 23 inches tall, and about 26 inches deep I am panning to have a sump built for this space. things to consider:

1) Skimmer does not fit under the stand, but there is space behind the tank, where I could cut out a space so the skimmer will fit.

2) the pump I am going with is an external pump, so it also would require to be at the back of the tank

3) skimmer creates exessive amount of microbubbles so a baffle system is required.

4) I was hoping for a Refugeum area.

Any suggestions for a sump design that will fit within this footprint?

Robb
Those are some quirky dimensions...
Old 08-01-2006, 04:03 PM

I know, weird dimensions indeed, this is why I think a custom sump will be required.