Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 08-20-2011, 09:06 PM

arash53 is on a distinguished road

I'll give it a try today and will post the result, I will acclimate them in bout 2 hours slowly by adding my tank SW to the LFS FW.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:11 AM

OK I bought a pair of Salfin Balloon Molly and put them in the tank. it's about two hours and they are doing fine

Old 08-21-2011, 01:17 AM

rastaangel is on a distinguished road

I used mollys to cycle my tank the first time around. I went to the pet store and bought 30 random mollys and just dumped them into my tank. They lived threw the cycle and multiplied rapidly, after 2 months there were gobs of baby mollies all over!!! Then I introduced my pair of volitans and they cleared them out for the most part. To this day, I have had my tank break, started over, then had it crash from being poisoned, started over again, and what has lived threw all it? 3 sailfin mollies...
Old 08-21-2011, 08:59 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

I used to very slowly (over several weeks) acclimate balloon mollies from fw to brackish to full strength saltwater years ago. It can be done.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:56 PM

goby1 is on a distinguished road

Paul's in Surrey has a salt water Molly tank that's pretty cool. I bought a male and a female - the male died right away but the female is great - eats algae all day and is no trouble. Definately odd to see an orange molly swimming sided by side by a spotted puffer though ...
Old 08-21-2011, 02:53 PM

It about 15 hours, they are alive and doing fine but they did not get use to water flow yet still staying near the surface!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:21 PM

FitoPharmer is on a distinguished road

If they stay near the surface all the time, they could be having problems acclimating.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:37 PM

Reef Puffer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arash53 View Post
It about 15 hours, they are alive and doing fine but they did not get use to water flow yet still staying near the surface!
mine would play in the current, they looked like they were having alot of fun (for the first week). my mollies also spend alot of time at the surface, they do there runs of the tank and pick at the glass most of the day but there "home" seems to be at the top in a low current spot (always the first to the food). 3 months in.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:52 AM

Gary is on a distinguished road

When I first set my salt water tank, our local fish store sold me mollies to help with the cycle.

As my tank already was at 1.025 salinity, I asked about this being hard on them and was told to just float the bag as usual and slowly add some salt water. After a few hours they were added to the tank with no ill results. Could not have been to hard on them as I had a number the females give birth in the first month.

We started with six mollies and after the tank cycled, I took about 40 back to the per store.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:38 AM

They start swimming all over the tank.

one question when they breed will my fish eat their babies? I have a pair of clown, a bengali cardinal , a firefish , a diamond goby and a coral beauty angel.