Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-22-2009, 06:25 PM

NuraNori is on a distinguished road

Hey Myka, we are dosing 3 drops in our 75G tank right now for the CV and have seen an increase in algae. It's pretty bad now and it was crystal clear before. So you found that decreasing to 1 drop lets say fixed this problem? Just want to make sure I know what you mean by dosing gently. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
All the additives you listed in your original post can be added to each other and dosed as one. However, I'm not sure if you could use a doser as I don't know how these additives would react to each other when mixed together for such a long period. Also, CV needs to be refrigerated after opening. You will want to change the dosing as well as you go. You may decide you want to add more SP and less CV for example, and that would be difficult if you mixed it all together already.

Most people suggest and practice dosing most additives (especially food-type) at night after lights out. This gives the corals time to use the additives before the lights come on. I find I get the best daylight polyp extension when I dose Zeo at night as well. If added during the light hours algae may have a better chance to enjoy a portion of your additives.

When I dose, I have a small glass cup that I put everything (that is compatible) into, mix it up, let it sit for 5 minutes, then add it to the sump in one go. The CS will take some agitation to get the residue out.

Also, I would suggest you dose 1/2 of what the bottle says (the Zeo forums will suggest this as well, but in more words). For example, instead of dosing SP 1 drop per 25 gallons daily, dose SP 1 drop per 25 gallons 3x per week (or every second day). The dosing suggestions on the bottles is quite aggressive. You will find your tank may be sensitive to dosing of one product or another, and may use aggressive dosing of another. For example, my tank is sensitive to CV dosing I have to dose very gently or I will get cyano and diatoms. I can dose the heck out of PIF though.

Nora
Old 12-22-2009, 06:29 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
All the additives you listed in your original post can be added to each other and dosed as one. However, I'm not sure if you could use a doser as I don't know how these additives would react to each other when mixed together for such a long period. Also, CV needs to be refrigerated after opening. You will want to change the dosing as well as you go. You may decide you want to add more SP and less CV for example, and that would be difficult if you mixed it all together already.

Most people suggest and practice dosing most additives (especially food-type) at night after lights out. This gives the corals time to use the additives before the lights come on. I find I get the best daylight polyp extension when I dose Zeo at night as well. If added during the light hours algae may have a better chance to enjoy a portion of your additives.

When I dose, I have a small glass cup that I put everything (that is compatible) into, mix it up, let it sit for 5 minutes, then add it to the sump in one go. The CS will take some agitation to get the residue out.

Also, I would suggest you dose 1/2 of what the bottle says (the Zeo forums will suggest this as well, but in more words). For example, instead of dosing SP 1 drop per 25 gallons daily, dose SP 1 drop per 25 gallons 3x per week (or every second day). The dosing suggestions on the bottles is quite aggressive. You will find your tank may be sensitive to dosing of one product or another, and may use aggressive dosing of another. For example, my tank is sensitive to CV dosing I have to dose very gently or I will get cyano and diatoms. I can dose the heck out of PIF though.
Actually Myka,

They have changed Coral Vitalizer, so you don't have to refridgerate anymore. It has been this way for quite some time now.

Myka also makes some good suggestions, dosing is different for everyone and I agree the bottles tend to be on the high side. I myself am dosing a little lighter than recommended and found better results.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 12-22-2009, 07:45 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

For the record, I'm definitely not a Zeo guru. I've spent a lot of time researching and experimenting as I've stumbled through it all myself though. Hopefully some of the guys on here that have had their tank on Zeo for a longer time can pipe up.

-----------------------
LOL Tony!! I hope your tank gets....SPONGE POWER!!!

NuraNori, yes that's what I mean. I only dose 1-2 drops CV every second day on my 90 (w/ 15 gallons of water in sump). Every tank is different though. There are other additives that will increase algae in most tanks that are anything other than ULNS. Those additives need to be dosed very carefully on tanks that don't utilize the complete Zeo system. It's essentially adding a bunch of "food" without removing excess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by globaldesigns View Post
They have changed Coral Vitalizer, so you don't have to refridgerate anymore. It has been this way for quite some time now.
That's interesting. I do know they changed CV, it smells different now. However, the "pro" guys on the Zeo forums still recommended to me to keep CV in the fridge and this was fairly recently. I will have to look into it more. Would be nice to not have to refrigerate it...although I still have to go into the fridge to get the Bak out.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 12-22-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:08 PM

muck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Would be nice to not have to refrigerate it...although I still have to go into the fridge to get the Bak out.
and the Beer.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
For the record, I'm definitely not a Zeo guru. I've spent a lot of time researching and experimenting as I've stumbled through it all myself though. Hopefully some of the guys on here that have had their tank on Zeo for a longer time can pipe up.

-----------------------

NuraNori, yes that's what I mean. I only dose 1-2 drops CV every second day on my 90 (w/ 15 gallons of water in sump). Every tank is different though. There are other additives that will increase algae in most tanks that are anything other than ULNS. Those additives need to be dosed very carefully on tanks that don't utilize the complete Zeo system. It's essentially adding a bunch of "food" without removing excess.

That's interesting. I do know they changed CV, it smells different now. However, the "pro" guys on the Zeo forums still recommended to me to keep CV in the fridge and this was fairly recently. I will have to look into it more. Would be nice to not have to refrigerate it...although I still have to go into the fridge to get the Bak out.
Hey Myka,

Here is a link for you and others about ZeoBAK storage:

http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthr...oral+vitalizer

Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Old 12-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:

-----------------------

You don't have to refrigerate it anymore, but make sure it doesn't go over room temp.

- one of the "pro" guys on the Zeo forums

.. lol
Old 12-22-2009, 09:09 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_dao View Post
You don't have to refrigerate it anymore, but make sure it doesn't go over room temp.

- one of the "pro" guys on the Zeo forums

.. lol
Hey! Don't leave me hanging here !! You never answered my question. Your thoughts about dosing zeo stuff in a doser oh wise one ?? :-D
Old 12-22-2009, 10:09 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Hey! Don't leave me hanging here !! You never answered my question. Your thoughts about dosing zeo stuff in a doser oh wise one ?? :-D
Don't do it. One of these days, one of those pumps will go berserk and you'll dump 100 mL's of Amino Acids mixed with Pohl's Xtra mixed with Spur2 mixed with whatever else of God-knows-what into your tank or something similarly inane and preventable.

Besides... It's seriously 30 seconds of drop counting man!
Old 12-23-2009, 11:36 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

globaldesigns: Oh that is weird because I think it was G. Alexander that had told me to refrigerate Bak and CV!!! Maybe it was Bob then...either way saweet!!!

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:49 AM

Quote:
globaldesigns: Oh that is weird because I think it was G. Alexander that had told me to refrigerate Bak and CV!!! Maybe it was Bob then...either way saweet!!!
I can't remember who told me, but it is nice not having to run up and down stairs anymore to get it and then put it back. It's just nice not to have to refrigerate anything anymore