Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-20-2012, 10:56 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Sounds like you're set, but, for what it's worth, there's a $10 (ish) float valve you can get at Home Depot/Rona/etc that is used for furnace humidifiers that has no metal parts (all plastic). The feed line fits through a 1/2" hole (whereas you need 5/8", IIRC, for the Kent valves). They are open on the bottom so that you get an air pocket. I have one that has been in use for something like 12 years now on a tank (not the same tank mind you but has migrated from tank to tank over the years) and it has never failed. Float valves are the K.I.S.S. principle in action. (My float *switch* based topup, however, has had numerous failures in the two years it has been in use.)

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/repl...ssembly/948915

As for mounting in a baffle type situation, I'm not sure what Brad has in mind but some ideas that I've done in the past that have worked for me:

1) Drill a hole in the baffle, mount the float valve in there. If you happen to have access to a glass drill bit that is 5/8" (5/8" for Kent, mind you if you drill 5/8" and go with the Home Depot valve I linked to, it will still work OK, you can fill the gap with silicone if you want)

2) Take a half-pipe (or quarter pipe) and mount it to the surface and drill through that. Half pipe if flush mounting to the baffle, quarter pipe if mounting in a corner. Silicone can be used to attach.

3) An acrylic bracket that mounts to the glass would work well too.

Hope this helps. cheers
Old 12-20-2012, 11:14 PM

Tangled Knot is on a distinguished road

I have used the same home depot humidier float valve without fail for over 15 years. Less then $10.00
Old 12-21-2012, 05:42 PM

Jaws is on a distinguished road

That's great info. Thanks again guys.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
Old 12-21-2012, 07:00 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

+1 on the Wait furnace humidifier job. A heat gun, some acrylic & a few nylon screw/nuts, maybe a tap & die, you're done. I even cut mine shorter to reduce the in tank footprint. Still works like a champ after years. As a bonus, there is an adjustment wheel that allows a small amount of mechanical level adjustment. Other than that, the bracket has to be built with additional level adjustment if required.

Photo shows my rig before I cut one (or two, don't recall) chambers off the end of the plastic float.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:18 AM

So apparently there isn't a Home Depot in BC that stocks these. I've checked. But Alberta has a ton of them, especially Calgary. If anyone in Alberta was willing to pick me up a few and ship em to me I would really appreciate it. Let me know what its worth to ya. Thanks guys.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:37 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Check some of the other hardware/reno stores if you can't find one at HD. Often smaller businesses will carry them. Home Hardware, Rona... or just order one online.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:15 PM

I'll check out some other places. I'd love to just be able to buy it online but it's an in store only item.