Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-18-2012, 09:38 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers View Post
It was cleaned out spotless. I have tangs, clownfishes, copperband, wrasses, gobies, cleaner and fireshrimps and snails. I don't have the water parameter right now. I can measure it later if needed.
What kind of tangs? I have seen some regal/blue tangs go to town on clams Not all but some copperbanded butterfiles also enjoy clams. What kind of wrasses? There are reef safe and non reef safe wrasses where some of the non reef safe wrasses will go to town on clams.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:57 PM

Oilers is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
What kind of tangs? I have seen some regal/blue tangs go to town on clams Not all but some copperbanded butterfiles also enjoy clams. What kind of wrasses? There are reef safe and non reef safe wrasses where some of the non reef safe wrasses will go to town on clams.
I have regal, naso, purple and yellow tang. I have capenter wrasse, exquisite fairy wrasse and another wrasse that I forgot its name. I think I have a thread on it that I've asked for identification.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:32 AM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

To get them to plant, I put a piece od LR in one of those little Glad reusible.disposable containers with some sand. Hes happy there, and ataching to rock. Once attached can place the rock where I want and he should stay put, hopefully

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 12-19-2012, 12:35 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Clams are such a pain in the butt... I've killed plenty over the years. A few lasted as long as five years but usually I only get 2-3 years before something happens. Pinched mantle, fish nipping, big ugly bristle worms, and parasitic snails oh my. A few of mine looked fine one day and were then dead the next but most of the time they look pinched for a week or more before they died completely.

You said that you recently purchased them, how long ago? I've had a tang and a CBB pick on them before so that could be an issue but it shouldn't have killed them that fast. If they didn't survive for very long I'd be inclined to think that they either weren't very healthy to begin with, they weren't acclimated very well or you have water chemistry instability issues.

Based on your fish list it sounds like you've got a pretty big tank. A large tank full of fish etc could eat up a small dead clam overnight easily.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 12-19-2012, 03:16 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

yep...copperband are active all night long. But eating 2 clams in one night? that's a lot even for a large copperband.

They could have melted as well. Small clam less than 3" tend to melt sometimes. How big where they?
Old 12-19-2012, 01:25 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderjumper View Post
Could have been the copperband.
I had a CBB knock over and start eating a clam, once the clam was knocked over and damaged the rest of my fish jumped in for an expensive meal
Old 12-19-2012, 02:03 PM

dustinc is on a distinguished road

My copper band never touches my clam, but he's weird he likes flake food, and the clam is above the sail-fin tang's cave and he is not to fond of the copper-band, so maybe its just my sailfin protecting my clam