Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 05-31-2015, 08:13 AM

Coral Hoarder is on a distinguished road

My vote goes to the gyre 130 awesome unit
Old 05-31-2015, 05:28 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

No experience with MP10, but my three MP40's range from 6 to 8 years, going strong. Minor expense to renew wet side ceramic bearings, washers. Modular design makes replacing wet side parts relatively easy & inexpensive. Even some controller modifications are diy. No need to send the entire unit back for most repairs. About time for new propellers, no issues with dry sides to date. Not sure about new QDs, but no plans to buy into that at this time for me. Worthwhile investment for me, although I have 0 experience with any power heads other than VorTech & Hagen AquaClears.

Last edited by mike31154; 05-31-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:51 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
No experience with MP10, but my three MP40's range from 6 to 8 years, going strong. Minor expense to renew wet side ceramic bearings, washers. Modular design makes replacing wet side parts relatively easy & inexpensive. Even some controller modifications are diy. No need to send the entire unit back for most repairs. About time for new propellers, no issues with dry sides to date. Not sure about new QDs, but no plans to buy into that at this time for me. Worthwhile investment for me, although I have 0 experience with any power heads other than VorTech & Hagen AquaClears.
Most parts are available and can be ordered @ J&L I believe. I also like not having wires in the tank. So tell me more about the Gyre stuff noise level etc. what makes them awesome?
Old 05-31-2015, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guy View Post
Most parts are available and can be ordered @ J&L I believe. I also like not having wires in the tank. So tell me more about the Gyre stuff noise level etc. what makes them awesome?
I purchased my first & only new MP40 at J&L on a trip from Vernon to Burnaby in 2008. Other 2 pumps I'm running are used. Took a few years, but finally an LFS here in Vernon is able to provide parts, although not sure what he stocks atm.

One of the things that makes the VorTechs awesome to me is the flexibility of flow patterns that are possible, particularly once you have multiple units working together via the wireless controllers. It is a bit of a hassle having a separate controller for each pump, but that's also what gives you more options to regulate flow than anything I've come across. I don't have a dedicated aquarium controller, so the VorTech units are a good solution for me.

A gyre is possible as well, depending on what type of tank you have. If it's a normal rectangular or square tank, simply mount a pump at each end, offset slightly & run them at constant speed creating a circular flow. Fairly certain you can still download the user manual(s) from the EcoTech web page for free, much more detailed info in there. Be prepared for some serious reading, there's a lot of info there, providing ample evidence that there's a very good reason these pumps cost more than a Jebao or other less costly offerings.

Nothing like seeing them in action in person though. You're a lot closer to J&L than I, take a trip there & ask them about the pumps. Been a while since I've been out that way, but they had a number of tanks with VorTechs running on them when I looked in.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...5&postcount=12
Old 06-01-2015, 03:08 AM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Laurie, I kind of look at power heads like cars.

Vortechs are Lamborghinis, expensive and loud, well built and powerful. Very expensive to fix.

Tunze are like BMW's. Engineered to perfection, can be powerful, and a little more affordable to fix.

Jebao's are like Chevrolets. Cheap but will do the job. Guaranteed to only last a short time.

For me the jury is still out on the Gyre's. They move a crap load of water and don't seem overly loud. Cost of parts is unknown, but I am considering getting one.

Maybe take a chance and try something new? What's the worst that can happen?
Old 06-01-2015, 03:53 AM

Very expensive to fix? Of course a complete wet side, dry side, controller are not inexpensive. But at least you have that option with a VorTech. In my experience running MP40s for 5 years +, the parts that typically wear are on the wet side. Repair kits, ceramic bearings are a bargain. Not sure any other manufacturer offers the same options. Once a Jebao is done, it's all done, trash.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...ID=wp-vortz417

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...ID=wp-vortz407

Comparing exotic cars to water pumps is a bit of a stretch, no? If I were able to go back & choose again based on what I know now, I'd buy another. Folks who like their Jebaos are free to do the same, based on their experience.

Last edited by mike31154; 06-01-2015 at 04:04 AM.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:13 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post

Vortechs are Lamborghinis, expensive and loud, well built and powerful. Very expensive to fix.

Tunze are like BMW's. Engineered to perfection, can be powerful, and a little more affordable to fix.

Jebao's are like Chevrolets. Cheap but will do the job. Guaranteed to only last a short time.

For me the jury is still out on the Gyre's. They move a crap load of water and don't seem overly loud. Cost of parts is unknown, but I am considering getting one.

You can't compare a jebao to a Chevrolet dude !!! How dare you
Old 06-01-2015, 02:58 PM
Darth Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
You can't compare a jebao to a Chevrolet dude !!! How dare you
Fine, fine. Let's call them Fords then.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:26 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post

When you say loud for the Lamborghinis, terrible loud or ? Also how long are the cables with the Vortech's?
Old 06-01-2015, 03:36 PM
Darth Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guy View Post
When you say loud for the Lamborghinis, terrible loud or ? Also how long are the cables with the Vortech's?
The cable to the dry side is considerably long. I'd say 8 feet, definitely longer than 6 foot.

As for the noise, it's a personal preference. I installed the QD driver on my mp40, and short pulse was still too loud for my wife. Other people however are fine with it.