Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 04-03-2012, 04:39 PM

dunl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swill View Post
We're ordered some Prazi-Pro and metronidazole from online but of course have to wait for it to come in

Go to your vet and ask for metronidazole, but you need to explain what it is for and how you are using it. Ask to talk to the actual vet, not one of the front desk staff. They should carry it, but they use it for another purpose, not aquatic.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:42 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Big Al Online Canada sell metronidazole so no need to bother with the vet.

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/fish/metronidazole-5-g.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunl View Post
Go to your vet and ask for metronidazole, but you need to explain what it is for and how you are using it. Ask to talk to the actual vet, not one of the front desk staff. They should carry it, but they use it for another purpose, not aquatic.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:58 AM
patd

I don't have any advice on what it could be but I do think its a rather sad state for an otherwise cool fish. A month is a long time to live that way and a testament to how tough groupers are but I think I would be sending him to ichthyological heaven by now.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:13 AM

swill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaz View Post
Best to end it's misery I think. As stated it is swim bladder problems or something else affecting it's balance. In the wild it would be crab food by now, harsh I know but a fish that does not swim is sad.
He is starting to come around to be honest with you. Why would you just kill it because it is sick when there is a way to maybe cure him. Would kill your dog because he is sick with out seeing if there is something you can do for him. I have been hand feeding him he is getting stronger everyday now. Thanks for bluntness but I don't think you should be giving advice as you obviously don't think a fishes life has value. That's is all!

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5a1642e8.jpg
Old 04-04-2012, 04:20 AM

Casey8 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
He is starting to come around to be honest with you. Why would you just kill it because it is sick when there is a way to maybe cure him. Would kill your dog because he is sick with out seeing if there is something you can do for him. I have been hand feeding him he is getting stronger everyday now. Thanks for bluntness but I don't think you should be giving advice as you obviously don't think a fishes life has value. That's is all!

God bless you for thinking of the value for the animal's life, swill. Hope with your effort and with your good heart, this fish will pull through.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:33 AM
patd

Quote:
If my dog was paralyzed and had to be handfed for over a month to remain alive - yes, I would have it euthanized. No offence but I think you have lost consideration for what is quality of life....and by your own admission the fish appeared so sick you never thought it would survive more than a day or 2. Perhaps you ought to reconsider criticizing someone else's morals and ethics and reflect on your own first.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:41 AM

Corbin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by patd View Post
If my dog was paralyzed and had to be handfed for over a month to remain alive - yes, I would have it euthanized. No offence but I think you have lost consideration for what is quality of life....and by your own admission the fish appeared so sick you never thought it would survive more than a day or 2. Perhaps you ought to reconsider criticizing someone else's morals and ethics and reflect on your own first.
i agree, id euthanize myself if i was paralyzed and had to be hand fed too.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:47 AM

Sasquash is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbin View Post
i agree, id euthanize myself if i was paralyzed and had to be hand fed too.
I bet you wouldn't kill yourself...if that day happened you would be thankful for everything...
Old 04-04-2012, 06:22 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

swill, I can't believe it's still alive
It's possible it has an intestinal blockage which is causing food in it's gut to press against it's swim bladder, amongst other organs.
If that's the case, I'd suggest you keep feedings down and try to feed it something that will help with digestion.
If it ever starts to recover, again feed it something to flush it's system.
For us it would be fibre ....
Good luck !
Old 04-04-2012, 06:24 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

And regardless of all the flushing suggestions you've had, if it's not twitching and so on .... just laying around ... I'd say it's not suffering.
You never know, it may come around.
Such a beautiful fish