Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 03-20-2002, 11:08 PM

Silverfish is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Silverfish
Default whare do I put my float valve?

Next time you are over Steve, bring your camera and check out my sump. When the power goes off I am left with about 3/4" of room till it overflows. That is a bit close for my comfort, but with the skimmer, 15g, and a couple inches from the 55g, I have a lot o water going into a 28g sump.

The way I have installed my baffles ( four in total) I have no bubbles returning to my tanks.

The center chamber in my sump is a bit of a refugium and it is 15" x 9" and the water level is 10" when everything is running. The water flow through the fuge is slow enough to get rid of any bubbles, and slow enough to let the critters and stuff live in peace. Most of the water flows through at the surface anyway.

Your diagram looks about right to me, just get your baffles up a bit, and try to make your return pump chamber as big as you can (for top off since the level should be a bit lower than the rest of the sump)

It would be good if you can wet test the system like you said to find out what level will work for your system. Don't forget to include the refugium on top and your future jumbo skimmer. [img]tongue.gif[/img]